Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 SATA DVD RW Compatibility

• Please log in to reply

JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi I posted this elsewhere :
http://www.geekstogo...le-t273834.html

But I did not get a solution and maybe the thread just lost interest?

SETUP

Dual HDD Dual Boot Maxtor SATA Windows 7 / Maxtor PATA Windows XP
Abit AN-M2HD
Corsair XMS2 2 DDR2
Hauppauge HVR1300
Buffalo WLI PCI G54 WiFi Card
AMD 64x2 AM2 4000

The problem I have is that I cannot play DVDs or install games on DVD

ISSUE:
Windows Media Player will play the first couple of short titles on the DVD, piracy warning etc, then when it reaches the main feature "20 Century Fox" it plays about 10 seconds then the DVD playback freezes. I can exit WMP by closing the window.
VLC and WMC will not play at all?

I cannot even install a game if it is on a PC DVD ROM, i tried QUAKE 4 and got a "library not registered" when i tried to run Autoexec from Autoplay. An when I select "Open Window To View Contents" the contents are displayed fine so I ran the "Setup" file from within the folder and got a whole load of "Access Violation" warning windows.

The DVD Drive works fine in Windows XP on the same machine????

I have just tried to install an old copy of MOHAA from CD and it seems to be installing fine, no warnings so far, stuck on 5% at the mo but we'll see how it goes, no 6 no 7% and still rising (slowly).

I already replaced my 3 year old NEC Optiarc DVD Drive and bought a new Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7124S DVD Drive thinking the old one had a compatibility problem and guess what, still no joy with Windows 7.
This has got to be a Windows 7 SATA DVD problem I might bang the IDE DVD Drive in and see it it works OKSETUP

Does Windows XP need a separate DVD Decoder Installed like Windows XP does? Although this would not prevent games being installed?
When looking at the Driver File in Dev Manager it is dated 2006?
I have the latest Firmware on this DVD Drive v1.03

I have trawled the net and found several people with the same problem event one with a very similar setup but no answers???
PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Advertisements