Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Is there help for the truly ignorant?

• Please log in to reply

selfstorage

selfstorage

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am really computer illiterate so please be patient. I am trying to clean up unnecessary processes and have found the ctfmon.exe file in start up. It appears it can be a logical and useful windows tool. When I look at the properties/version/original name the response is cicload.exe, which when I look for data on that file there are lots of posts (with a #59 #40 after the file name) that say this can be spyware. Well, which is it? Is it the OK windows file or the nasty spyware file? I use Adware SE plus and stealthray. I run spybot S&D. I use a trend micro firewall. I run ccleaner.

Is this hogging memory or is this evil spyware, or is this just OK stuff. Can I get instructions in idiots English to remove this?

I appreciate any assistance.

RK rk@askrk.com

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Work your way through the malware removal guide at the top of this forum where it says "Do you suspect a malware (Spyware, Virus, Trojan) infection? Please start here. " This enables folks to solve most problems on their own. If you still have a problem after that, post a hijack this log in the malware forum at
http://www.geekstogo....o_Here-f37.htm

selfstorage

selfstorage

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I am really a novice. I went to the hijack this and I do not know what the log is. I see so many confusing things at the bottom of the page with archives and all kinds of stuff, I am not sure what is my log and what is text in the website. I would clip and paste if I knew what to paste.

I am sorry to be so ignorant.

RK

irishman1952

irishman1952

• Pip
  • 2 posts
There should be a listing of your registry and it will probably be long. Copy and paste it to this post,so people can see what might be the problem....