Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SYSTEM RESTORE

• Please log in to reply

AQUA258

AQUA258

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Hey guys, what can i say but here we go, here we go....

Ok, i had windows live messenger which included the mail. I tried to delete the "windows live sign in assistant as there was something wrong with it". The instructions i found was that i needed to delete all windows live and re-d/load. I did this but it won't open up. It keeps telling me that i already have it but i cant locate it anywhere.

So i figure the best thing to do is a system restore cos better the devil you know than the one you don't...WRONG...

When i tried doing it a box come up showing me that my system restore was turned off???? I did not turn it off. Anyway i turn it back on and go to do the system restore but there are no points available and if there are its not letting me go back a month to see if there are any there???

Is there a way i can bypass that and do a manual system restore?????????

ps...Still cant d/load or find windows live messenger or my mail...lol...lol..Help

ME... :) :)

Advertisements

Tpneer2

Tpneer2

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
the answer is no, but if you have a recovery partition you can use that to reload windows and then start from scratch, or if you have the xp Cd you can boot from that and do the same thing, only you have 2 options here, press the R key to enable the recovery console and follow the instrucitons rto reload press

AQUA258

AQUA258

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Pardon my ignorance but where and how do i get to the R.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
http://support.micro...kb/290301/en-us

a. Please download and save the Windows Installer Cleanup utility from the
above link.
b. Then, please run it from Start-> All Programs-> Windows Install Clean Up.
c. Please delete all listed MSN messenger or Live Messenger related programs
one by one.
d. Download and install the latest version of Live Messenger.

Windows Live Messenger 8.1
http://www.microsoft....displaylang=en

AQUA258

AQUA258

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Sorry to say that none of that worked.

I even went into regedit and tried to delete everything i saw with "windows live or windows live messenger". Ran cleaners to clean registry and then tried to re-load.

I keep getting the same thing....the box opens saying its preparing the installer, then i get a box to pick what i want to install from windows live...at the bottom of the selection it says "you already have messenger" yet i cant find were and why it won't start up.

I delete it from control panel, downloads,programs etc...basically from everywhere..well obviously not from everywhere as it keeps telling me its on my comp.

I did see a box yesterday saying that i am missing msnmsger.exe (i think thats right)When i tried to locate and d/load that i got a virus which locked me out of my comp. Virus gone but no messenger/mail....lol

Seems to be easier to get rid of a virus than to get rid of windows live and windows messenger so i can re-load it....lol.. :)

PS...i have no mail so i cant see when you guys get back to me. Will keep checking back during the day...TY

UPDATE; Thanks guys for trying to help...I did a clean with "xp registry repair" which deleted all of messenger then i reloaded....All Good...
Still not sure why my system restore was turned off but hey some things ya just don't need to stress over too much...ha ha ha TY

Edited by AQUA258, 22 April 2010 - 11:44 PM.