Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't connect to microsoft sites

• Please log in to reply

mlchai

mlchai

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have a KVM VPS that I installed Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 on. Right after installing, I notice I can't go on any of the Microsoft websites or use any of their services. Some random websites also don't work. I installed Windows XP on the same VPS and everything worked fine, but then I tried to install 2003 again and the same problem keeps appearing. I've been trying to fix this for a week and I'm losing patience.

I don't think it's a virus since it's a clean install, and it's not the VPS or network since it worked on XP on the same VPS so I think it has something to do with 2003 itself. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I tried editing the MTU in the registry and deleting some Svchost registry entries.

Edited by mlchai, 21 April 2010 - 11:22 PM.

Advertisements

Tpneer2

Tpneer2

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
the MTU settings only deal with internet speed and the size of the packets sent and received, the svchost is another matter entirely but I suspect that for some reason the settings in IE have been changed to where Microsoft is no longer a trusted site, so try this find windows update in the start menu and run it see if it can connect , if it can then the trusted sites is no longer a usable option since when you connect, it does this automatically by default so check to see which of the svchost files you killed and go back tothe backup of the registry I hope you created and remove any one at a time assuming you need to remove any at all.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Try pinging microsoft.com...you wont get replies but you will get a IP. Firewall running?

The next step would be to reset winsock.

Edited by diabillic, 22 April 2010 - 07:56 AM.

mlchai

mlchai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Microsoft and Windows Update are all under trusted sites. For WU, I can connect to it but when I check for updates to install, it just stalls for a long time and then returns an error. Microsoft.com and other Microsoft sites just return a page not found.

When I try pinging Microsoft.com I do get an IP and all the pings timeout with 100% packet loss. How do I reset winsock?

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
netsh winsock reset catalog

Winsock should be fine if your browsing other sites though, its kind of a last resort. By pinging microsoft.com and getting an IP, that means you can see it.

What is the error code you get from WU? What kind, if any, type of firewall configuration is running?

mlchai

mlchai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I tried turning off the firewall before and it didn't fix anything so I don't think it's the firewall either. I reset winsock and that didn't fix it. Here's the log from my WU:

http://p.linode.com/3763

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
You don't happen to have a proxy enabled do you?

WARNING: WinHttp: SendRequestUsingProxy comes up quite a bit in the log. Also, were gonna need to run sfc /scannow to restore the MTU and svchost files.

mlchai

mlchai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I haven't personally enabled any proxies and it doesn't look like the system is using one but I haven't fully checked.

The MTU and svchost registry entries aren't changed in this install, since I reinstalled quite a lot.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Everything ive read up on this points to a incorrectly configured or missing proxy settings where required. I will follow up shortly.

mlchai

mlchai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks, I've been looking for a solution for quite some time. I look forward to your response.

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Are you running WSUS or SUS from the server?

mlchai

mlchai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I don't think so, I don't see either under "Services".

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
If you didnt set it up, then its not running. What version of 2003 are you running? From everything ive seen, this particular error is related to WSUS and SUS. I will keep looking.

mlchai

mlchai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I'm running Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2. I find it really odd though that not having WSUS or SUS would make connection to all Microsoft related sites not work. I also thought that either WSUS or SUS would be installed by default, so it never occurred to me that it wasn't installed.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Both SUS and WSUS have to be installed and setup, never by default. Not having them installed wouldnt prevent you from connecting to any microsoft sites though.

Can you please do the following:

Start -> Run -> Cmd

tracert update.microsoft.com

Paste your results.