Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I THINK I BROKE IT D:// drive errors

• Please log in to reply

kmc2007

kmc2007

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey all. I'm new here, and found you after I had my laptop crash. I probably am not capable of adding anything to this site, but will review some of the posts to see if i can help so as not to just be a leech on the system... I must say thanks in advance to all you techies willing to help.

So basically, this is what I have...

Gateway laptop Vista Home basic edition, Hitatchi hard disk, purchased for about 300 dollars from wal-mart a few years ago....

My problem:

I had the laptop turned on and sitting on the couch beside me, while open. I done the one handed pick up, grabbing to the right of the mouse pad on the computer. I heard an awful buzzing/whining sound, computer froze. I restarted it, and came up on the checks that operating system not found. It took it five minutes to get to this screen to tell me this... I took out the hard drive (i guess its the hard drive, a hitatchi something ) and turned the computer back on. This time it started very quickly, and got me to the screen that said operating system not found. And just as a note, I do not have a recovery disk from Gateway or anything like that....

My Questions:

1.) Do i need a new hard drive?
2.) Is there anyway possible to salvage what I may have lost on this hard drive?

Thanks to anyone who may take the time to help me with this....

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hi kmc2007 and welcome to G2G!

It's a little early to tell if you need a new hard drive but hopefully a little troubleshooting should help.

First of all does the PC detect your hard drive?
Have you tried running the Hitachi drive fitness utility? (link below)

http://www.hitachigs...ownload.htm#DFT