Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Corrupted/broken HDD on Dell Dimension 8400

• Please log in to reply

athro

athro

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi all, I have Dell Dimension 8400 (bought in 2005) using Seagate 160GB SATA driver. (ST3160023AS). Upon running diagnostics in boot mode I get error code 00F0:0244, Msg: Block 6701065 etc, which I gather means that internal HDD has broken. I guess I need to replace the broken driver with another (seagate?) and format(?) and reload my XP home edition.

A couple of questions.

1. Which driver would you recommend - 320GB OK, 500GB more than enough.
2. Is it really as easy as pulling out old hard drive and slotting new one in?
3. Do I need any new cables? Can I just use the old ones that are there from previous driver?
3. Can I use my OEM XP Home Edition(sp2) disk to reload windows onto new drive?

I must be missing some other obvious questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I need to try to recover data from broken driver as well (which I think I know how to do)- although I did back up fairly recently (phew!).

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,650 posts
Hi athro!

The message sounds like it's talking about a bad sector on the hard drive. A bad sector is a part of the hard drive that can't be used because it is damaged.

Can you boot into Windows?

If you can boot up Windows (I assume you can still get in Windows) > click start > click run > type cmd and click ok > type in chkdsk c: /R (I assume the drive letter is C, it usually is) and press enter > press y and enter when it tells you it will need to schedule it for the next system restart > reboot the PC and it will run it.

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
1) I like the WD Black or Blue series.
http://www.wdc.com/e...index.asp?cat=3

2)Usually four screws, the SATA data connector and the power connector. Use the Molex (four pin) OR the SATA power connector, but not both.

3)I sometimes swap cables and bin the old ones. Old SATA cables may not have the locking clip.

4)You should be able to use that media to reinstall the OS.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,650 posts
Reinstalling XP from the disk may not work without the correct ACHI driver being used during first setup phase.

athro

athro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks for the replies.

Can't get into windows. Even when I boot from CD - it goes to screen that says it cant find hard drive. So am guessing whole drive has gone not just a sector of drive.

I thought OEM disk might not allow me to load windows - I remember reading somewhere it can be a problem.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
Have you changed the boot sequence in the Bios so that it boots from the cd drive first
& then the hard drive?

athro

athro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Yes changed boot sequence.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
Have you had a look here?
http://www.seagate.c...nloads/seatools

athro

athro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks phillpower2,

Have just run the tests recommended. They confirm my drive is dead - unfixable! Will go ahead now and buy new drive.

Thanks DaffyKantReed for the recommendation - have checked the drives out. They sound good am about to get one.

Thanks all. If I have probs with installation - will post again for help. Excellent forum.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
You are welcome athro I just wish the outcome could have been better.
Regarding the installation of your new drive, have a look at the very
helpful guide by Troy in the System Building & Upgrading forum:
How to build your own cumputer & if you need any further assisstance
let us know

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
@athr:
ZEUS_GB may well be correct in post #4. If you have a floppy drive, place the drivers on the root of A:. Press F6 when Windows Setup prompts you to do so. The rest of the install should go smoothly.