Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Given the Keys to small office server

• Please log in to reply

CamC

CamC

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello all!

Long story short; i have 6+ years of computer repair "IT" work (with my A+ certification and many dell certifications) Having my own computer company (high majority of residential) i feel very comfortable with PC and MAC alike in software and hardware.

This week at work (church) I have been given the IT contract. This was mainly to "downsize" and save money, and they knew i had computer experience so it was a "lets just have cam do it" moment.

While i am 100% happy for this and ready to accept a little extra cash monthly, my expertise is not in Windows Server 2003.

SOOOooo... This is what i know, and i would LOVE any network professionals who do this as their main interest (like i do PC repair) to give me a few tips or tricks?

Again i have the experience with hardware/software and have a little windows server 2000 experience.
---------------------------

Church = 10 PC's connected to their 1 Windows Server 2003.

This server is 100% up-to-date as of yesterday. The company that was servicing the server for the church had their last day yesterday.

1 time a month, one of their techs would come into the church for a 4 hour period.
"Server maintinance" is all they did.

My question for all of you is what should i be looking for? what should i be doing 1 time a month?

here is my current list and let me know what you think:
Defrag all server harddrives
scan-disk all server HDD
(i assume windows server 2003 had built in error reports and checking so ...ill do that)
----------------------

What you all think! I assume this small biz server does not need too much work. I noticed that the internal hard drives are on the full side. what % should be free at all times?

Thank you-thank you-thank you
cAm

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Please list the services running on the server. DHCP, Directory Services, DNS, Exchange, Applications, Antivirus, etc.

Also, please list the machine specs including HDD space and type, RAM.

What type of backup solution is in place?

What kind of domain are you running? What version of Server 2003 is running?

I can further guide you once I have more information about your environment.