Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Issue repairing XP

• Please log in to reply

TheBeerBaron247

TheBeerBaron247

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hopefully I am posting this in the right place. I have a problem with my XP starting up. I was hoping to run "windows XP repair" as a solution but I dont have the option to repair. This is all I am showing -

*To set up Windows XP on the selected item, press ENTER.
*To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C.
*To delete the selected partition, press D.

Now, I really dont know what happened to caused this problem initially but I have very important things in this computer that I do not have backed up anywhere else (yes, im an idiot!). Do I have any other options here? Is there a step I might be missing? Any feedback will help but I am looking for an option that will not risk my files

Thanks!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
The Windows XP repair option is before the screen you are mentioning.

It is just after the "Accept Licence Agreement" screen you should have the option to repair your XP Installation or continue with a fresh install.

If your XP setup utility does not see an XP installation it will jump that screen.

TheBeerBaron247

TheBeerBaron247

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for your reply. But, my screen does not show me an XP installed. It shows the drives. I read in a couple posts that it will not show the XP installed if it is badly damaged and I think that is the issue. I am wondering if I have any options after that point. I believe if I reinstall the software I will lose all data and I cannot do that. Sorry for not being more specific....