Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Issue using the "windows XP repair" No repair option?!?&

• Please log in to reply

TheBeerBaron247

TheBeerBaron247

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a problem with my XP starting up. I was hoping to run "windows XP repair" as a solution but I dont have the option to repair. This is all I am showing -

*To set up Windows XP on the selected item, press ENTER.
*To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C.
*To delete the selected partition, press D.

But no option to select the current XP Installation to repair. All I show is the drives. Now, I really dont know what happened to cause this problem initially but I have very important things in this computer that I do not have backed up anywhere else (yes, im an idiot!). I have read if it is too corrupted it will not allow me to repair. Do I have any other options here? Is there a step I might be missing? Any feedback will help but I am looking for an option that will not risk losing my files

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can go to HERE to read the tutorial by one of the members here on how to do a Fresh Install or Repair Installation of you OS.

TheBeerBaron247

TheBeerBaron247

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the advice but it looks like this site only shows you the standard precedure for a repair. My computer is not showing me that the OS is installed. I have read this is due to the fact that OS is badly damaged. I am wondering if there is another way to fix this problem without losing my data

kristain

kristain

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Hello,

1.Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
2.When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
3.Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER. do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".
4.Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
5.Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, END setup.
6.Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

TheBeerBaron247

TheBeerBaron247

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
what would someone do if it did not show a current windows application. Only shows the drives?

C: PARTITION1 [NTFS]
D: PARTITION2 [UNKNOWN]

Any input would help

Thanks

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
first thing is to try getting your data...you can slave the drive to a working computer and try getting the data...or you can try running puppy Linux that will run in your ram and try getting the data that way