Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Excel 2003 cannot access Temp dir on Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

Diabolik

Diabolik

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi All,
I recently moved to Win7 x64, coming straight from WinXP. This is not the right place to share personal impressions, but it looks like I've lost control over MY OWN pc almost completely. :)

I have installed Office 2003. Since the very beginning as soon as I open an Excel file (doesn't matter whether an already existing one or a brand new one), an error message pops up saying: "Cannot access file: c:\users\<myself>\AppData\Local\Temp.
<myself> represents my User, the only one on my pc, and (of course) an Administrator. If I click on OK, then normal behaviour seems to happen, except when I try to use memory-intensive macros (like copy/paste sheets, and so on) where the problem appears againg preventing the macro from working.

I'm quite sure it must be a bloody permission matter over that directory.
To add more details:
1 - Excel normally writes successsfully on that dir (watching normal Excel operations via ProcMon you can see TMP files being written);
2 - I've tried to tweak Security and Permission of that dir a bit, but with no other results than a message of "Corrupted ACL" that forced me to restore the old version of the dir to exit the dialog box...

If anybody could help, I'd appreciate a lot.

:)

Diabolik

Advertisements