Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NSW "go back"

• Please log in to reply

rcrainman

rcrainman

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Using XP pro OS and have tried to remove earlier version 3 of "goback" without success. Followed instructions from Norton website. Used V3 CD to uninstall, control panel to remove, each has given me confirmation that the prog has uninstalled successfully. Rebooted system after each confirmation. However, when I try to load new version "goback 4", wizard gives an error #25034 stating that it detected the previous version which must be removed before installation can continue. I don't have any "goback" folders on the hard drive but have located four in the registry tree. The referenced registry key is in HKey_Local_Machine \ Software for "goback" four folders in all (Roxie,goback, install and unit81), but the OS won't let me delete any of the folders. I have deleted some of the reference keys within the registry folders but I still can't remove/delete the folder.
System rebooted and confirmed the mods were made but could not delete the registry folder. Tried again to install "goback" version 4 but got the same unable to install message noted above.
I have full admin privileges in the system.

Does anyone have any experience resolving this problem?

Thanks!

Edited by rcrainman, 21 May 2005 - 08:33 AM.

Advertisements

gothtec

gothtec

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
For some reason, the word "reboot" is nowhere in that post, and I seriously think it should be there.

rcrainman

rcrainman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Have modified post as suggested.
Thanks!

gothtec

gothtec

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Try booting in safe mode and delete the folders from there. Also, you can probably delete the registry keys you've found that refer to the folders, but be careful with that.

rcrainman

rcrainman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
The system will not allow me to remove the referenced four folders out of the registry tree. I believe that once these are deleted, I might be able to load the new version of the software.

gothtec

gothtec

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Try renaming the folders... just a thought.

rcrainman

rcrainman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Understand....Had previously tried renaming the registry folders but OS registry editor gives me an error message stating "The editor can not rename (name of file). Error while renaming file." So, I still hoping that someone out there has experenced this specific problem and will share their solution.
Thanks!

rcrainman

rcrainman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Solution provided by Bourbaki (Technical User)

"Try taking ownership of the Registry Key and then deleting it.
http://www.microsoft...t_take_own.mspx "

Posting just in case someone else runs into this same problem.

Closing thread!