Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

microsoft excel and word

• Please log in to reply

goofygrmom

goofygrmom

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I don't have a lot of info, but my son is unable to access his saved docs and he can't open either program. I tried getting a copy of the error report so I could post it, but am unable to do so. Part of the report says'bad access'. I don't have a MAC so I'm a bit lost trying to help him. Some of his docs are saved on a zip drive, but he needs to access the others. We can't even send the report to Microsoft. He did try to do the updates. I think that part worked.

Any help here would be appreciated. He'll only be visiting for a couple hours before he goes back home to Virginia. Thanks.

Advertisements

Matthew C. Miller

Matthew C. Miller

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
If you haven't gotten this resolved yet, you might try the following:
  • Close any open Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Entourage, etc.)
  • Open a Finder Window: click the desktop to make sure you're in the Finder, the Application Menu name should change to Finder, then choose New Finder Window from the File menu.
  • Select the Documents folder from the list on the left (under Places)
  • Move the Microsoft User Data folder to the desktop
  • Retry Word and see if the problem has been resolved

Even if it doesn't work, keep that folder on the desktop rather than trash it. It has all the saved preferences from prior use of the Microsoft Office programs. After a while, if you find you are doing fine in Word/Excel/etc. you can trash it. You may find you need to copy back a specific preference file, though, so it'll be handy to keep around for a little while.

Good luck!

BTW, the Apple Support Forums might be a more active place to post requests like this one.

goofygrmom

goofygrmom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Thanks tons! I'll tell my son to give this a try. And thanks for the link. I'll give that to him too.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Thanks but i am new in this site
so please guide me

Welcome to Geeks To Go! :)

You might try starting here:

Geeks to Go! > Community > Site Orientation and FAQ
http://www.geekstogo...n-FAQ-f117.html