Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem connecting my laptop to my router

• Please log in to reply

jmw9

jmw9

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i have a dell xps m1210 and recently i had to wipe it and put all the drivers back in. in the mean time my fathers xps desktop had many problems and eventually broke so now we have a linksys router standing alone which works fine for the other things in my house. except my laptop i punch in the encryption key and it says i have full green bars but when i open the internet the page cannot be displayed. i have no idea why but from the little knowledge i know of the router and how it works i believe the router has to verify and accept my laptop to work on its server but the problem is that there in no computer hardwired to the router to do this. is there any other way i can get this to work?

sorry for the essay but if you could help id greatly appreciate it otherwise this laptop is useless :)

thanks hope you can help!

Advertisements

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
You need to be able to access the Linksys router with a wired or wireless computer.

Get yourself a USB key.
Surf to https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm
(Yes, it's a secure page)
In the third box down (63 random alpha-numeric characters), copy the entire key to Notepad. Save this file as wpa_key.txt and have a copy on the USB drive.

Type 192.168.1.1 into your browser. Enter the password, which is probably 'admin', unless it's been changed.
Under the Wireless tab, Security mode, choose WPA2 Personal. Under that choose AES. Under Shared key, paste the key you've saved to wpa_key.txt. Change the SSID to something you'll recognize, but not your address and not your name. Let's call the SSID "jmw9", for example.

Save your changes.

Now, take the USB key to each wireless laptop, and try connecting to jmw9. It will prompt you for the key. Simply copy and paste, then click on Connect. It should work now, unless the router has been configured to filter MAC addresses, which does happen.