Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virus possibly preventing program updates

• Please log in to reply

Event

Event

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My comp was infected with a virus sometime back a few months ago. Combofix was used to eliminate it after the virus (I believe it was a virus that shut my internet down entirely) could not be found using malwarebytes with the help of hijackthis. Ever since combofix was used whenever I tried to update antivirus programs I would receive an error. Yesterday I re-dled superantispyware and ran it. It found a trojan and destroyed it. I then re-dled antimalwarebytes. It found a trojan and destroyed it. Ever since then I can update the antivirus programs but I cannot however get the Starcraft 2 Beta to update (either automatically which it always does or manually) so I am thinking that my problem still persists. I would like to note however that after I used combofix something changed on my comp. In particular an icon on the bottom right toolbar that used to appear for bluetooth has disappeared and I do not know how to get back (it was very handy it let me shut my bluetooth and wireless off so I knew my comp could not be accessed online).

Can you help with these problems to determine if they are virus driven or maybe there is a recurrent virus? If you determine it is not I will go to the software/os forums and see if they might help with my problem there. Below are the postings for antimalwarebytes. Gmer, and OTL and Extras Log are attached: (please note malwarebytes was run before GMER and OTL however this mbytes log is from a run that I completed after I ran OTL).

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.45
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4029

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.11

4/23/2010 11:54:23 PM
mbam-log-2010-04-23 (23-54-23).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 113631
Time elapsed: 6 minute(s), 11 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Attached Files

• Attached File  OTL.Txt   79.43KB   126 downloads
  • Attached File  Extras.Txt   58.71KB   170 downloads
  • Attached File  ark.txt   592.23KB   142 downloads

Advertisements

Event

Event

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok you guys may be interested to hear this. I found out how to fix my beta issues and will show you how for research despite the fact the software (the beta) may be irrelevant I learned something about viruses from this fix:

EDIT: THIS FIX IS REQUIRED WHETHER YOU USE INTERNET EXPLORER OR NOT. I REPEAT, IF YOU USE MOZILLA OR ANY OTHER BROWSER, YOU STILL MUST CONFIGURE YOUR INTERNET EXPLORER.

Hey everyone, I just spent a good 5 hours trying to reconfigure my internet to fix this problem. The major problem was within Internet Explorer itself.

If you cannot connect to the news server, make sure your IE Files are configured correctly.

First open Internet Explorer, Click on Tools on the top bar, Then click Internet Options.

Starting from the first tab (General), click Delete Cookies, Delete Files (this is your temporary internet files), and Clear History.

Once these steps have been done, Click on Connections. Now depending on your Network configuration, You may not see ANY form of networks on this page. That's OK!!! You're simply going to click on LAN Settings at the bottom of this page. Once this window opens, make sure of the following:

1) Automatically Detect Settings is checked!
2) Use Automatic configuration Script is UNCHECKED.
3) Use a proxy Server for your LAN is UNCHECKED!!!!

Step 3 for me was my problem. After doing some research, I found that if you have ever been attacked by any Malware or Spyware, some of those programs will Check that specifically to shut you down from using Internet Explorer.

Once I had unchecked this box (Step 3), I tried re-opening IE and BAM! Google popped up! (instead of the obnoxios "Page cannot be displayed" error). After this moment of grandeur, I double clicked my World of Warcraft icon. The News Server Booted IMMEDIATELY and Patch 3.3.3 began downloading right away!

I have Windows XP, so this fix may not be viable for all members of our community. If anyone is having further problems with the WoW Downloader or the News Feed, Feel free to leave a post and I'll try my very best to assist you!

Good luck everyone!!

EDIT: I'd also like to mention that if you have deleted Internet Explorer or have removed any of it's files, download IE 8 and install, then follow these steps, as you may have some files missing that will cause IE to not even run properly!

EDIT: IF YOU CANNOT FIND YOUR INTERNET EXPLORER ----- Just go to Start --> Control Panel --> Internet Options and follow the above 3 steps.