Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fan Somehow Making Computer Warmer

• Please log in to reply

Tylinos

Tylinos

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
Normally, my computer's fan does its job right of keeping my computer cool. However, it recently started making a loud buzzing noise when going into a higher speed. This would merely be annoying on its own, but I noticed that when it does this, even when the computer is otherwise idle, the temperature rises by about 15 degrees Celcius. When the computer is active when doing this, such as when watching a video, it seems like the fan is barely doing anything at all, with the temperature just going up and up into dangerous levels until I stop it. Keep in mind here that if I'm watching a video when the fan is going normally and not buzzing, it doesn't heat up by all too much.

This is all pretty annoying to try and deal with, and I was hoping someone might have some ideas on this to help out. I'd rather not have to take it into a shop, since that might not even help, but guess I will if I have to. I figured it might be good to see if anyone else could give any help first.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Sounds like the fan (and/or vents) may either be filthy or the fan itself is failing due to worn out bearing(s). Either way, the fan motor is having to work harder to spin the blades which causes more heat.

Solution? A good cleaning would be the first step. If that doesn't solve the problem, replace the worn out fan.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I suspect the computer is getting hotter, calling for the fan to speedup - not the other way around. Bad bearing could generate some heat, but not enough to cause the computer to jump that much! I suspect the temps are rising because the fan is bad, and not doing it's job.

A good cleaning of the interior, as SpywareDr suggested is the first thing - but if the bearings are making noise now, cleaning will not help - the fan needs to be replaced - which fortunately, is pretty easy to do - you just need to make sure it blows in the right direction - generally front to back.