Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disaster Recoverty Solution

• Please log in to reply

MisterD21

MisterD21

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hi Everyone,

This has been plaguing me for some time now and I haven't found what I want, so I thought I'd give it another bash.

Scenario:
PC grinds to a halt or gets infected with nasty-ware (just made that up to cover all nasty things, viruses etc) or data corruption or electrical damage etc.

As a last resort, need to format PC and start again.

From format to up and running can take HOURS. A lot of wasted hours.

Requirement:
After first OS install and basic program installation (i.e OS, Firewall, Antivirus, Antispyware, Java, Flash, Preferred Browser, Zip File Manager, Office etc).

I want to be able to image the HD onto a bootable DVD so if it happens again all I need to do it put the DVD in the drive, boot up the PC and rolls out the image to the HD so that when it boots up after completion, it's up and running.

Does that make sense?

If anyone knows of a way of doing this, I'll be in your debt for ever.
I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem!?

Thanks in advance
MisterD

Edited by MisterD21, 24 April 2010 - 01:48 AM.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Acronis® Backup & Recovery™ 10 Workstation
http://www.acronis.c...ry/workstation/

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
With all due respect to him/her, SpywareDr's suggestion is in my opinion way over the top for your modest home requirements.

There's a free alternative here geared towards simplicity for most home users with just a couple of PCs
http://www.paragon-s...ome/db-express/,

I've used it, works fine.

But I suggest whatever imaging software you use you should back up to an external hard drive and not to DVD. Backing up to an external hard drive is so much easier and you won't have to play a juggling act with maybe 2 or 3 discs.