Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cleaned off system and still having problems!

• Please log in to reply

Mickymom09

Mickymom09

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
So my computer was just getting slower and slower. I finally just cleaned off the whole system with the discs that it prompted me to make. Once I got everything up I did all the updates and all and now it is slower than ever before. I know it was NEVER this slow when we got it! Not even when I was trying to figure out how to watch moves or downloading music or anything!!
As far as what its doing, everytime I turn it on it takes forever to load up. When I click on the Verizon icon to start the connection app. Its so slow that it take a few seconds for the buttons to show up on the app. Also any time I try and open a .pdf from the internet it stop and shuts down my internet explorer. I already went through the spyware and virus section of geeks2go and got the ok! So now what??

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

I finally just cleaned off the whole system with the discs that it prompted me to make

What kind of disk are we talking about here?

Mickymom09

Mickymom09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
The backup disks

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Well, it looks like possible hardware problem.

***** Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287 (or http://www.bleepingc...opic28744.html)
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

***** A. If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-....iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-....iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-....iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

Mickymom09

Mickymom09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
So the good news is that after 7 passes there were no errors. The bad news is..I still don't have a clue whats causing it or how to fix it...:)
What's next? Also, If we donate does it go to you or to the geekstogo site?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
7 passes of what?
memtest?
If so, did you?

A. If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

Did you run hard drive diagnostic yet.

I don't accept personal donations and I'm not sure if G2G does as a board.
You'd have to PM one of staff members.

Mickymom09

Mickymom09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Well, to be honest I wasn't to sure about the first step so I did the memtest and ran it 7 times getting no errors. My smart self relaized that I have a samsung drive so I'd like to try the ES tool if I can. According to memtest I have one RAM module.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
With one RAM stick, you really don't have a choice.

Mickymom09

Mickymom09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I apologize I said Samsung, It is Hitachi and I did the fitness test with a 0x00 code in the end. I'm guessing that means I'm all good on the driver?? Sorry, just bare with me I'm a bit of a begginner when it comes to drivers and such. Bare with me. What's next boss?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Hmmm....

Please, post some computer info:
- processor type, amount of RAM (hold Windows logo key, hit Pause/Break key)
- hard drive size/free space (open "My Computer", right click on hard drive letter, click "Properties")
- security programs in use (antivirus, firewall)

Mickymom09

Mickymom09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
OK so Processor: Intel COre 2 CPU [email protected]
1.00 GB RAM
364 GB Space 30.2 USED 334 GB FREE
The comuter came with Norton but it is expired but still runs.
Then I downloaded Super Antispyware and Avast from your site.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You shouldn't be running two AV programs at the same time.
Since Norton expired, uninstall it, using Norton Removal Tool: http://service1.syma...005033108162039 and see, if it helps.