Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

usb device not recognized device malfunction

• Please log in to reply

cant

cant

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
when i try plugging my mp3 player/camera/anything eles that does not stay plugged in i get this error usb device not recognized One of the usb device connected to this computer has malfunctioned,and windows does not recognize it.For assistance in solving this problem click this message,when i click the message it says Unknown device.Try reconnecting the device.if windows still does not recognize the device replace it.So I got a new mp3 player and still have the same problem,i installed it correctly.Everything that stays connected such as my printer/webcam exc. works,only devices that i do not leave connected do not work, I'm sure if i unplug them and try plugging them in again they probly wont work either.I went to device manager it shows no problem,I tryed leaving the device in and restarting the computer still does not work.I uninstalled ther device using device manager still nothing,my mp3 player showing that its charging and it worked 1 time yesterday,I have read and tryed many differnt solutions seeing there are many people having this trouble are have had this trouble but none seem to work for me,being the ports that stay plugged in work I have no idea whats can be the problem any help would be apprieciated and I know your time is precious and I am thankfull for you looking over this tread and giving it a try,thank you!

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
sorry...found you in the waiting room... :)
go here and try the Advanced USB troubleshooting...
I would first try to Remove and reinstall all USB controllers...the how to is at the link

Edited by happyrock, 30 April 2010 - 07:36 AM.

cant

cant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
After doing the microsoft troubleshooting,I restart my computer and the install box pops up at the bottom right showing its reinstalling everything (printer,webcam,camera,mass storage device,composite device,drivers and so on)then a box pops up showing this error(I did not have this error before)
C:\windows\system32\spoolsv.exe
Function address Ox77e7b825 caused a protection fault.(exption code OxcOOOOOO5)Some or all property page(s)may not be displayed.
And my mp3 player's are still showing same error.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try rebooting again...are you still getting the spoolsv.exe error...
try using your printer

cant

cant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
printers not working,i will uninstall it then reinstall

cant

cant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
ok printers installed and working no more error from that

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
click on start...run...type in services.msc...press enter...
scroll down to plug and play...set it to automatic and make sure its started...
try the mp3 player...
nojoy
shut down the computer disconnect a couple of usb devices like your web cam and mass storage device...
boot up and see if you can connect the mp3 player

cant

cant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Plug and play was on automatic/started so I disconected everything one at a time,cam/camera/printer trying the mp3 player then plugging back in.Finaly when i disconected the printer my mp3 players worked!when I plug the printer back in the mp3 players show the error again.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
they probably are having a IRQ conflict or you may just have to many usb devices connected...
do you have a usb hub connected by chance or a reader for flash cards (SD, CF )

cant

cant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
no sure don't,only things that stays conected is a webcam,printer.I do have a 1gb internal memory card,I put in over a year ago.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I do have a 1gb internal memory card,I put in over a year ago.

do you mean a stick of ram like one of these..

or a reader

Attached Thumbnails

• ram.jpg

Edited by happyrock, 02 May 2010 - 04:45 PM.

cant

cant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
sorry yes a stick

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
lets try disconnecting the printer...boot up and try to connect the mp3 player...if it works then try connecting the printer while the mp3 is still connected and working...try using the printer

cant

cant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
They both work when I do it that way.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
now try leaving the printer connected (the usb) but turn its power off ...the mp3 disconnected ...
boot up and plug in the mp3 player...does it work...if yes
use the safely remove icon in the system tray and remove the mp3...now power up the printer...test it...if it works OK plug in the mp3 player

Edited by happyrock, 03 May 2010 - 03:47 PM.