Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive issue?

• Please log in to reply

karorose

karorose

• Pip
  • 9 posts
If a laptop does not boot up, is the hard drive gone? What I mean is if there is no action on the hard drive, but all lights are working that show battery, wi-fi, etc are on....did the hard drive go kaput? I can hear the fan running but no other sounds of activity to indicate the hard drive is even reacting. I removed the hard drive to make sure the connection was secure and reattached everything properly.

I can't diagnose the hard drive if it won't come on. Does this mean it's fried?

Advertisements

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
What exactly does the screen show? Does it just stay completely black? Does it show POST info? Does it flash a logo or anything...?

karorose

karorose

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
The screen stays black, with no logo.
I had problems with blue screens this past week, and wondered if that had something to do with it. I ran tests on the memory which showed no issues or errors.

The laptop does the usual "lights coming on" thing" with one exception, the light that usually came on for the hard drive is remaining dark.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
If you can enter it does your BIOS recognize your hard drive?

karorose

karorose

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I can't get into anything. The screen stays dark. Other than the little revving up it does when I first start the laptop (fan and assorted lights on the laptop), everything else stays off.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
If you take out the hard drive and try to boot do you at least get into the Bios or still nothing happens.

A computer does not need a hard drive to start and unless the drive was the reason it was not starting taking it out will tell you if it might something other then the hard drive the reason it does not start.

If it still does not start it does not garantee your hard drive is still good but you will at least know the problem of not starting is not related to your HD

Edited by Alzeimer, 24 April 2010 - 03:38 PM.

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
You should still see some POST text on the screen. Are you able to connect your laptop to a different monitor via a VGA port? I know this is probably asking a lot but do you happen to have another computer you could put your hard drive into as a slave?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
If I may chip in, I would go with the suggestion made by cheathawk1 & try
connecting the laptop to a known working monitor via the vga port 1st, it
is a lot easier to transport a laptop around than a monitor, also have you
tried booting windows or a recovery disc from the cd/dvd drive?
See the link below for a laptop troubleshooting flowchart,
http://www.daileyint.../hmdpc/hard.htm
Good luck & let us know how it goes

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
I will 2nd (or is it 3rd) the use of a external monitor.

Nothing on the display would be a display/back lit or possible main board.
If just a backlit issue, then you would see something by use of a flashlight and getting the screen in just the right position.
You need to see POST 1st.
A total hard drive failure would be "no OS" or "no hard drive detected", but would still give you POST.

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
just to piggyback on 123runner's response, POST is the White words that display before windows loads up, it should list stuff like your RAM, CPU info, BIOS info, Hard drives (or say hard drive failure as runner said) and stuff like that.