Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Broken pin in the USB interface of external hard drive

• Please log in to reply

favorme

favorme

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi all,
I have a Fantom external hard drive # TFDU16072A that I use to store my data and pictures. Yesterday, as I was trying to connect my hard drive to my computer, my computer did not recognize my drive. I noted that the USB interface on the hard drive that connects to the USB cable had one of the four pins bent. As I tried to straighten the pin,it broke off. So, now I have only 3 pins on the USB interface of the hard drive. The drive does not recognize at all. I haven't tried opening the hard drive yet. Is there a way to find a USB interface in the market that can be attached to the hard drive? I have attached a picture of the broken USB interface. Please..please help. Thanks so much.

Attached Thumbnails

• USB2.jpg

Advertisements

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
hi, this link is for ebay uk but it shows what you are asking for. you could try the american ebay for the same hardware.

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item414e96a3ec

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
hi, you could buy a new hard drive enclosure.

favorme

favorme

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi deggitt, sorry I'm not too familiar with IDE interface. I haven't opened my hard drive yet. Will there be an IDE slot on my hard drive that will connect to either the IDE 2.5 or 3.5 end of the cable? And do I connect the USB end to the computer? Thanks so much

favorme

favorme

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

hi, you could buy a new hard drive enclosure.

Will any hard drive enclosure fit? I did not find any enclosures specific for the TFDU16072A model. Please help.

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
hi, you need to open the enclosure and look at the hard drive connectors, make sure it isn't connected to the power supply. take a look at this post, it shows the ide connector and power connector. it also shows the connectors on the hard drive and explains how to install the drive into the enclosure. there are many enclosures that your hard drive will fit into. you can google "hard drive enclosures" or do the same on ebay.

http://www.geekstogo...-....html&st=15

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
this might help..

Once you've settled on an enclosure, it's time to install the drive. There's nothing difficult about it—you probably won't need anything more sophisticated than a screwdriver. But the usual electronics-handling rules apply: Make sure you're working in a static-free environment, handle everything with care, don't force the connections, etc.
If you're enclosing an IDE drive, make sure to set its master/slave/cable-select jumper in accordance with the instructions provided with the enclosure. (SATA drives don't require any special jumper settings.) From there, just mount the drive, connect the interface and power plugs, and close everything up.

Connect the drive
If you purchased an enclosure for a 3.5-inch drive, it no doubt came with an external power supply. Plug it in and power up the enclosure; you should hear the drive spin up (and see a little LED activity if the enclosure has LEDs). Notebook-drive enclosures are usually powered by their USB or FireWire connections, so no external adapter is necessary.
Plug the enclosure into your PC's USB, FireWire, or eSATA port. Mac and Windows XP/Vista systems should automatically detect the drive and load any necessary drivers. Windows 98 and Me systems will probably require a driver CD, which should have come with the enclosure. Follow the provided instructions to install the drivers.

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
hi, here is a good general tutorial. the data cable in the pictures looks like a sata connector but don't worry yours will have an ide connector.

http://macs.about.co...ernalhdcase.htm