Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Wont Start Urgent!

• Please log in to reply

A-dot

A-dot

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I'm new here and i dont relly know if this goes in this catogry but i really need help. I press the button to start my computer and i see the first screen- it says dell and at the top right it says F2 and F11 or something along those lines. But after that nothing happens the monitor goes blank. The last time the computer worked it said 'error in script.No debbuging programs available.'-i cant remember exactly but it was something like that, And i kept pressing OK but it just kept popping uo so i held the turn off button and turend the system off. HELP PLEASE

Advertisements

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
You can try to boot into safe mode, try tapping the F8 key repeatedly as soon as you turn your computer on and see if it comes up with a screen giving you the option to boot to safe mode. Also, you could try going into your BIOS and resetting them back to default. You can do this by pressing the F2 or F11 key you saw earlier. Whichever one it is, usually the screen will say press one of these buttons to enter Setup, try to catch what it says on the screen before it goes away. All computers are different mine for instance says to press the Delete key to enter Setup.

--Chris

Edited by cheathawk1, 24 April 2010 - 04:37 PM.

A-dot

A-dot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I tapped the key to enter the safe mode menu. It says Safe Mode
Safe mode with Networking
Safe Mode with command promt

I tired just safe mode and it comes up with lines of long messages with alll of them starting with

Multi(0)disk

?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
After you tap the F8 key and the screen comes up, do you get a choice for "last known good configuration"?
If so try that mode.

If not let safe mode run all the way to the end (if it gets that far).
If safe mode works you will have booted up to the desktop and the words safe mode will be in all 4 corners and your screen resolution will be default.

The idea is to see if you can get to "last known" or "safe mode".

123runner

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Tip: Be patient ... I have seen cases where it took over 20 minutes to get booted all the way up into Safe mode.

A-dot

A-dot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I followed your advice and i got my computer starting again. Thanks! HOWEVER therese now a virus on my computer 'xp smart security virus'. I know this is a fake antivvirus program but it doesnt allow my to acces sites that can delete it? I will post this in the other catogry but i thought id post it on this thread aswell.

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
If you dont have an Antivirus program installed that you can run while in safemode, or if it doesn't let you run your AV while in Safe mode, I would highly reccomend using another computer to download and burn a copy of "The Ultimate Boot CD". just type that into google and it should be the first or second thing listed. The UBCD will boot a windows environemt directly from the CD and create it in RAM so you can access your hard drive and run antivirus on your entire drive wihtout worrying about running the virus. Or worst case is you can use safemode (or the UBCD) to simply copy your files to a Flash drive or external HD and then reformat the whole thing and start a-new.

Anyway, didn't mean to ramble, let me know what you end up doing and if you have any other issues.

--Chris