Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

slowing down VOIP to work with a modem

• Please log in to reply

numskully

numskully

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Is there anyway through hardware or software to slow down a VOIP to work with a modem?

thanks

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
If you mean a PC with a 56K modem, why run a whole computer to do VoIP? An ATA pulls less than 5 watts.

Wikipedia: Analog telephone adapter
http://en.wikipedia....lephony_adapter

Voip using 56k modem
http://forums.whirlp...cfm/848972.html

numskully

numskully

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I'll give some details.

I want to get rid of my land line for magicjack, but my old DVR that uses a modem does not work with magicjack (maybe since the transfer is too fast?).

Is magicjack an ATA? Their customer service would not give me an answer to this. Could I connect a magicjack to a ATA to a DVR so my DVR could update?

thanks!

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
http://www.magicjack...-dvr-t1539.html

mberlant - Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:29 pm

You need to drop the connection speed lower. If you can, limit the speed to 2400bps, which is the fastest speed that still uses pure audio tones to communicate.

--

stamasd - Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:22 pm

9600 is the minimum the replay will take.

--

mberlant - Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:51 am

Then, you will need to keep your ReplayTV plugged into your POTS phone. VoIP and v.42bis just don't get along, because the G.711's digitization process is naturally lossy, which v.42bis cannot recover from but your human ear cannot detect.

--

crackerjack - Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:55 pm

You will be able to craft a workable negotiation between your modem and the MJ by using an ATA like the Linksys PAP2, which has the flexibility with its internal programming to overcome the limitations your are experiencing.

Plenty of info at dslreports voip forum for configuring a PAP2 to work with a modem.

numskully

numskully

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks so much SpywareDr! The above info is exactly what I'm looking for!

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
You're more than welcome. :)