Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot open any applications

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

lawnguybri

lawnguybri

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
I have an HP pavilion with windows XP. Was running fine a few days ago...now I cannot open any applications. I've tried opening Norton 360, but it will not 'scan'. Cannot open any of the other cleanup tools listed in the cleanup guide, including tfc and malware removal tool. Help!

Edited by lawnguybri, 24 April 2010 - 07:00 PM.

Advertisements

Tpneer2

Tpneer2

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
ok go and boot the machine as its coming up press the F11 key and follow the instructions for a windows reload do NOT use the one that formats the drive, this will erase all your data use the reload option and it will just repair windows issues and then you should be all set

lawnguybri

lawnguybri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
`
I wasnt sure which to start with, but i tried the 'dubugging mode'. there was a little progress made, as initially it looked like it was running normal. So I proceeded to to run through the cleanup guide listed on this forum (something Ive had to do before - with success :) ) I was able to run the TFC program...but after that I have not been able to run anything since. I have attempted to run Norton 360 several times, but it will not open.

Ugh....

Is there a startup option I should be trying?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Please follow all of the steps in this section of the Malware Forum. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post an OTListit and GMER Log in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run and/or post an OTL log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum. Should you post in that forum please do not respond to your own topic. Our Malware Staff look for topics to help out in that have no responses. The Malware Forum is very busy with many more requests for help than we have volunteer helpers, so please be patient. If you have not had a response to a topic after 3 days then please go to the Waiting Room and read the pinned topic for instructions.

Edited by Essexboy, 25 April 2010 - 02:44 PM.