Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't boot, jumping advice?

• Please log in to reply

acuradio

acuradio

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a real old Dell P3 box that I would like to use for NAS.

The problem is that I am missing the cable that goes from the mobo to the power button switch located on the front.

The pins are arranged in a 2x4 = 8 total configuration on the mobo.

The computer had a power button switch(momentary) with an indicator LED as well as a smaller reset button below it.

oooo
oooo

I read somewhere that the computer can still be started withouth this cable by jumping the pins quickly.

Any idea what the pinout might be and which ones i should jump?

Thanks

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Welcome to geek

Messing about is at your own risk as You would be doing this with the power on, so take care.

Usually pins 1 and 2 are power and the ones under, in your case 5 and 6 reset. Pos. Neg. can be reversed on these. 3 and 4 or 6 and 7 would be a led light, pos. must be on the correct pin for it to work.

Use a small bladed electrical screw driver, or wrap some insulation tape to suitable on, This to stop you shorting out something else when the computer starts and you jump a meter into the air? Shorting out the 2 same pins will stop the computer, or switch of at the wall.

Most front panel wires from an old computer could be attached to the pins and run them back to the switches.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
If you get a a make and model number it would help to locate a manual.
Also look for a service tag on the unit.

I would not jump anything unless I was more positive.

123runner

acuradio

acuradio

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you for replying to my post. First off, I screwed up, the connector had 16 pins in a 2x8 configuration.

The fact that it was a P3 20 gig hard drive box I was ok with the worst outcome. I ended up taking the unused ide cable from mobo to floppy disc, cutting it in half, then stripping the ribbon down. It made it much more easier to jump and the ribbon with adapter held snug. Pin 3 to Pin 11 turned in on and off.

Thx again