Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

slavedrive

• Please log in to reply

dave150

dave150

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I was trying to set up a network to access my slave drive on my old computer, os windows vista. somehow i managed to goof things up real good. i can access the slave drive from the computer it's in, but when I try to open a folder. I get, "you don't currently have permission to access this folder". all of my music and photos are stored on that drive. I have tried a system restore, but no luck. I can not put the drive into this computer, becouse the drive is older and has a different way of connecting.
Any help anyone can give me on being able to access the files will be greatly appreciated.
thank you

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Trying to access folders created with a different user account (which is effectively what you're trying to do)has always been problematic since Windows XP and proper, separate user accounts first appeared. All the more reason to keep backup copies of all your files on a separate disk where they are not affected by Windows access & privacy controls, not to mention the simple good sense in keeping backups in case of corruption or hard disk failure.

You can probably get around your problem by reading this:
http://windows.micro...iles-or-folders

Click on the middle blue link "I get a message denying access when I try to open a file that I created using a different user account"