Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Solved :)

• Please log in to reply

Junkman

Junkman

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Hi

Been having problems recently and I've decided to get a new PSU and case. Case is broken cause I dropped it anyway...

I have:
Athlon X2 4600+
ATI Radeon HD 4870
2 gigs Corsair XMS2 6400 C4 RAM

Optical drive and SATA hard disk, and no plans for any particular extra components, except that I would like room to upgrade the CPU and add some more RAM.

So I'm thinking of going with the Corsair TX850 PSU and the Cooler Master Elite 334 case. Read some excellent reviews on the PSU, so my only question really is do people here think it will be compatible with my needs? i.e. my current build but also with room to upgrade to a more beefy CPU and more RAM? And ideally, even another GPU upgrade a couple years down the track, but that may be asking a bit much.

The case I haven't put much thought into; it's cheap and all I ask is that it does the trick. I don't overclock, so I have no need for extreme cooling. My only issue there is I think maybe PSUs are getting bigger, and if I want a case with a little future proofing is it a good idea to get one that can hold a larger PSU?

Thanks in advance

Edited by Junkman, 26 April 2010 - 03:41 AM.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
The corsair is probably a good choice if you plan to upgrade to a high end video card like a 5870 or GTX 200/400 series card in the future. It is a very powerful power supply and it has all the connectors you would need even for running two cards in SLI/Crossfire. For your system now, it is overkill really, but you want room to upgrade, so good choice.

As far as PSU's getting bigger, I'm not too sure about that. Sure... 1000 Watt PSU's and such are longer in the back end, so all you need to make sure is that your case doesn't have a top fan that would interfere with it and that there is room between the PSU and the Top Optical Drives (assuming the PSU mounts in the top) to plug and unplug cables in.

All you need is the Form Factor "ATX Power Supply" and it will fit squarely with the holes lining up.

Hope that helps. :)

Junkman

Junkman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Excellent; made the purchance.

Thankyou Ferrari :)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip