Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows update causes BSOD in vista

• Please log in to reply

makihara

makihara

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Hi there,

I have windows vista on a inspiron 1520.

Two weeks ago i was having problems with my computer updating to SP1.

Anyway i got it sorted and then last night i was installing an update through windows update

It was internet explorer 8 and KB968389

The computer restarted and a BSOD flashed before vista tried to then repair the startup problem

a systems restore to before SP1 was installed did the trick but then i ran windows update and the same BSOD happened.

So now i'm worried about installing the updates??

Should i manually download and install SP2?

Thanks,
James

Advertisements

kristain

kristain

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Blue screen error occurs due to failure of RAM. You should remove your RAM or clean it. Blue screen of death may also occur due to malfunction of software and hardware devices. If this problem starts with any new software or hardware installation then uninstall it. There may also be corruption in files due to some virus attack. You should install antivirus software in order to protect your system.