Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mozilla Firefox

• Please log in to reply

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
I recently downloaded Firefox (as advised on this site) and have been satisfied with the performance.

Yesterday I selected the option "Clear all information stored while browsing" under the Tools --> Options --> Privacy menu. I then typed three or four of the links I wanted to visit in the address bar. Wishing to return to one of the sites I had been to, I began typing the address again, and saw a link to "Schnitzer Steel Industries," which I have never before visited, so the address should not have been saved in the drop-down menu in the address bar (also, when I place my pointer over the link in the drop-down menu, a toolbox pops up next to my pointer and shows a different link that I visited each time I point to it).

Does anyone know where this link might have come from (no one else uses this computer and I had deleted all pages stored in the cache by selecting the "clear all information stored while browsing" option)?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by CelestialTeardrop, 21 May 2005 - 08:39 AM.

Advertisements

Insanitystreak

Insanitystreak

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
hmm now thats confusing. IT could be there are popups. Downloading programs such as music sharers can cause that.

Also downloading stuff off fthe internet.

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
Nope, haven't downloaded anything except ewido, WinPatrol, and Spyblaster. I never download music, since I don't listen to it all that much.

I've been re-thinking the steps that led me to the discovery of the odd link. I had clicked on one of the saved links (I started typing it in the address bar, knowing that after the first letter or two I would get a list of sites, or rather multiple pages of the same site), not really registering the exact name I was clicking on since all the links began with the name of the same site, and got redirected to the Schnitzer Steel site. Yet despite my lack of attention to the exact address I clicked on, I'm certain it was not "Schnitzer Steel", since I had erased the history/cookies/cache/etc and had never heard of the company anyway, much less visited their webpage. The thing that confuses me, however, is why a Harry Potter fanfiction site that usually doesn't have pop-ups (www.schnoogle.com) should be in any way affiliated with a steel company and redirects its readers there. :tazz:

This has happened only once, but I found it rather odd. ;)

Edited by CelestialTeardrop, 22 May 2005 - 01:55 PM.