Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound sometimes does not work

• Please log in to reply

Zook

Zook

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
I am running Win 7 x 86 and one problem I have every once and a while is I will get absolutely no sound out of my laptop. The log in sound will not play and no program will play sound. I try all the mute and volume controls, plugging headphones in and out and nothing works. I have to shut down the machine and turn it back on and then it is back to normal. Any ideas why this happens?

Edited by Zook, 25 April 2010 - 01:21 PM.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
If the sound is supplied by an integrated (ie on-board) sound-chip, try updating the sound driver which is available from the PC maker's website. If the sound is supplied by a separate sound-card, go to the card-maker's website for the latest driver.

kristain

kristain

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
If the music in your library skips or the audio breaks up when you play it in Windows Media Player, there might be a problem with the audio driver installed on your computer. Typically, this type of problem only occurs toward the end of songs (in the last 20 seconds or so).

Zook

Zook

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
No this is across the board, no sound from anything right from the bootup.