Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problem Loading OS after POST

• Please log in to reply

JRReb

JRReb

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi Everyone,
After recently finishing my latest computer build I hesitatingly switched the power on for the first time and much to my surprise it fired up and went through its POST sequences, finally giving me a screen with a message asking for the OS disk to be loaded into the CD-Rom drive. This I did then I got a black screen with a wide white line across the bottom with the message 'Windows is Loading Files....'. After a few minutes the screen changed and the message 'Loading Windows' was visible, then the Windows Logo appeared above the message (4 coloured balls spinning into the centre to become the familiar Windows Flag Logo). That's it - it gets no further, in fact the Optical drive stops spinning eventually.

According to several sources and a publication called "Build a Better PC" the screen I should have got after the first screen should have been a blue screen with the heading Windows 7 and 3 selection boxes. Well, this 'aint happening and I have just spent two days reading through the mobo handbook and several other publications, not to memtion the 'surfing' it was then I discovered this forum and I am hoping a friendly 'technophile' can help me solve this problem.
Cheers JRReb :)

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
What happens if you try again? Seems like the installation went bad which happens sometimes.

How many times have you tried to install Windows? Helpful here... How to Install Windows 7

Other thoughts... scratched disk, faulty RAM, Bad Optical Drive. Let me know the answer to my question and we can continue to trouble shoot. :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
HAHA what are the chances of that! I am experiencing the exact same issue at work right now...

Will keep you posted as to what is the outcome. At the moment I am suspecting motherboard. I say this because I have disconnected everything unnecessary for installation and a Windows 7 disc freezes exactly where you say. Installing Windows XP actually starts installing and freezes at the same spot every time, "Installing Devices 34 minutes remaining".

A memory diagnostic and hard drive diagnostic are all able to be run and pass successfully.

FYI it is the Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2H (rev 1.0) - I have used this board successfully in the past however at the moment I don't have any other Socket 1156 boards in stock to replace it for testing... Will have to send it back to suppliers and see what happens. I hate it when that happens - I hope I'm not wrong. :)

Cheers

Troy

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

... 34 minutes remaining".

Setup stops responding with 34 minutes remaining
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828267

Windows XP SP1 Installation Stops Responding with About 34 Minutes Remaining
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/815319

Windows XP Setup Stops Responding on a Sony VAIO PGC-FXA Portable Computer with 34 Minutes of Setup Time Remaining
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316386

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
:)

What's the chances of having 3 Microsoft KB articles with that timeframe? That's so funny... FYI I just read through them and none of them are applicable to the situation at hand, however they are helping confirm my suspicion it is a hardware problem...

Cheers anyway, I honestly didn't think to Google that one though.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts
XP hanging at 34 minutes is fairly common:

Google: xp "34 minutes"

Edited by SpywareDr, 30 April 2010 - 03:21 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
My suspicion was right (well so far at least), the suppliers have tested the board and couldn't even get a POST out of it... Dunno how I got as far as I did then? Oh well, I have a new one here and we'll see if this one works (just have to rebuild it now).

Oh the joys, I get to build a new machine twice!!! :) :)

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts
:) Good luck. :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Well I stayed back a bit late after work and got the motherboard in and the case wiring done up, tomorrow morning I will pop the PSU, hard drive, and burner in, hook them up and pray for a POST and install???

:)

Rascle53

Rascle53

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
JRReb,,im here to help, just wnet through the same exact thing with my asus, done everything i could think of an more for over a week to solve it,,,turned out to be the cpu, replaced it, an WHAM! al is workin as it sould be. If ya have a spare or can borrow one froma buddy, try it, see if it solves ur prob too.
Good Luck! :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Yep mine was the motherboard, machine is running all good.

Rascle53, the CPU eh? I've never heard of the CPU being the issue before, very very rare that the CPU does not just "work".

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

very very rare that the CPU does not just "work"

I would suspect bent pins or damaged cpu before a "non-working" one. Could of been that.