Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help me with a Vista startup problem!

• Please log in to reply

H2916

H2916

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,
This morning, I went to start my computer, (HP desktop, Vista 32-bit, 4 GB RAM, 1 year old.) Right after the usual HP startup screens, I get a black and white screen saying something like "Windows did not start normally" and asks me to choose between:
-Running startup repair or
-Start windows normally

I choose to run the startup repair, and it begins and continues to "repair the startup" for more than 4 hours. I think that something got messed up, so I shut it down and run it again. This time, it runs for about 8 hours. It was responding fine, the blue bar kept moving back and forth the entire time. Both times, when I went to cancel the repair, nothing happened, so I had to shut it down.

I also tried the other option, starting it normally, but nothing happened, it just looked like it froze, on a solid colored screen.

I actually had this happen before to me, but the startup repair fixed the problem in about an hour, and it worked fine.

I was reading some other forums, but do I have to somehow repair it manually? Like do I need a Vista disc in order to fix it or something to that nature? I have no idea why this is happening. Can somebody please help me?

All help is appreciated!
Thanks!

Advertisements

kristain

kristain

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Startup Repair is on the System Recovery Options menu, which is on the Windows installation disc. Startup Repair might also be installed on your hard disk if your computer has preinstalled recovery options. Startup Repair might prompt you to make choices as it tries to fix the problem, and if necessary, it might restart your computer as it makes repairs.
If you have a Windows installation disc:
• Insert the installation disc.
• Restart your computer
• boot to the installation CD or DVD.
• Select your language the next
• Click Repair your computer .
• Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next ..
If your computer has preinstalled recovery options:
• Restart Computer
• Press and hold F8 as your computer boots up. You will need to reboot again if you see the Windows logo. That just means it did not work the first time.
• On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Repair your computer , and then press ENTER
• Select a keyboard layout, and then click Next .
• Select a user name and enter the password, and then click OK .
On the System Recovery Options menu, click Startup Repair .
Startup Repair cannot fix hardware failures or certain types viruses. Startup repair do not repair lost files like documents or pictures.