Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp pro repair

• Please log in to reply

GaryLS

GaryLS

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Tried to repair win xp, went fine until it got to performing configuration and then it says "The instruction at 0x7643785c referenced memory at 0x055e710. The memory could not be read." Help! I'm stuck and have a very important school project to complete.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS
Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

GaryLS

GaryLS

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks rshaffer61, I ran this, this morning through my ubuntu startup disk no errors were found. I have tried every thing I can think of to no avail. May be a sequence of events may help solve the problem. It started a while back after installing xp sp3 and ie8. The windows installer 3.1 would not install.so I just ignored it that was about a month ago and at that same time had to reinstall ms office. Last week got a project I had to work on involving excel and vba, but vba was not working right, any way found out that because win installer 3.1 did dot install nether did the visual stuido files for office when I installed it. Long story short repaired xp from the cd (back to sp2)and removed ie8 back to ie7. This did nothing except cause where I'm at today (windows wont start and repair keeps repairing up to preforming configuration (memory could not be read). Hopefully there is a better solution than formatting the drive and reinstalling. thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Then lets check the hard drive itself to make sure there is no issue with it.
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

GaryLS

GaryLS

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello rshaffer61, just wanted to let you know I'm still in the game. Having a problem with the boot-up disk for the hard drive diagnostics. It is asking for the license file to be in the same directory. Haven't a clue what they are talking about. There were several programs to download maybe I downloaded the wrong one. Anyway will get back as soon as I get this task accomplished. thanks

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

"The instruction at 0x7643785c referenced memory at 0x055e710. The memory could not be read."

The above is often a sign of some kind of infection.
What was the original reason for trying Windows repair?
Is the computer bootable at all?

GaryLS

GaryLS

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
It actually started a few months ago when I installed sp3 for xp pro and ie8. The windows installer 3.1 would not install. Didn't really notice any thing except for the constant updating of windows installer 3.1 that always failed to install. Last month had enough of the wi 3.1 stuff so decided to go back to sp2 and ie7 (ie8 was a joke), also office was not working so reinstalled office. Repair of windows went great, I was back to sp2, ie7, and office was working good. How ever last week I started a project for a customer that involed excel and vba, vba would not change some properties so reinstalled office but noticed that visual studio would not install. After several hours of trying found that vb would not install because of the missing windows installer 3.1. so it was back to repairing windows to see if this would fix the problem, it did not, but windows repaired ok. Ran the repair again the next day and here I am (memory could not be read). Forgot to mention the computer will boot up and gos to 39 min until set up completes, just after devices and in the process of finalizing. thanks

Edited by GaryLS, 27 April 2010 - 05:03 PM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.

Before you start a new topic click on this link --> Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, Please read before starting a new topic. This will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your OTListIt2 log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
i would have to agree with Broni's assessment also. since no errors were found with the memtest then the next logical assumption would be a active infection.