Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reformat hard drive upon installation

• Please log in to reply

Novice3303

Novice3303

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Dell Dimension 8100 which formerly had Windows Millenium. I had many problems with performance and many "conflicting" programs. I wanted to wipe everything out and load Windows XP. I followed the directions for a new installation, took the opportunity to change from FAT32 to a new file system, and saw all the warnings about erasing all teh existing data. I continued because I wanted to erase all the existing data. Following the installation, it all appeared fine and worked okay. When I clicked Start>Programs, I was rewarded by a minimal list. I then looked in the C drive under programs, and all the old folders and files are still there. I even opened a program that I had experienced difficulty with (Adobe). It did just like it did before I did anything. I looked in Control Panel>Add/remove programs. None of the old programs are listed there, but they sure are in the C drive when I go into Windows Explorer.

How do I get rid of the old stuff? I don't want to just start deleting files and folders. Thanks.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
I had ME on a compaq that I put W2K pro on. It had a partition set up for the ME restore, drive D. When I formatted and installed W2K I selected NTFS, installed and all was great. It did not remove the D partition however. It was still there and is formatted FAT32. Maybe that is what you are seeing? I find it hard to believe that formatting and installing WXP would leave all of the ME files intact on drive C....mind you I am not saying it could NOT happen, just want you to check again and make sure.

Novice3303

Novice3303

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I had a C and D drive. I did not intend to reformat the D drive. I used it for document storage only. The C drive is NTFS File system. The D drive is still FAT32 File system. What I am looking at is "My Computer" and actually opening a folder of C:\Program Files. Within that folder are all the old program folders with hundreds of individual files within them, including application files, app extension files, and dll files. The D drive shows all the old documents that were intended to be left on.

patdied

patdied

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
All you need to do is reformat at the start.

1) Put windows CD in your cd drive
2) Restart computer
3) At start (the first screen you see) hold F10 to go to boot menu
4) select boot from cd/dvd
5) in the setup select reformat and follow the instuctions

Basicly, you can't format properly in windows, all your doing is re-installing windows parts.