Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

C drive losing memory

• Please log in to reply

hulk180

hulk180

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
I have 2 drives, C and D. My C drive has been pretty low on memory for a long time (1 or 2 gigs). I ran the cleanup program after posting on the Hijacked forums and it cleaned up enough to give me 3+ gigs. However, here recently the space on my C drive has been dropping each time I restart my computer. It will go from 1 gig or so to 0 in about 5 minutes. So I run cleanup again, get a gig back, and if I logoff it drops right back down to 0. Is my computer possessed?

Advertisements

dispn0ygonekrazy

dispn0ygonekrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
hmm thats kind of strange you probably have a kind of virus or your system resources is configured uncorrectly?

hulk180

hulk180

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I thought it might be a virus of some type. Especially since D drive was uneffected. It started happening right after I ran the windows cleanup program. Could that have deleted something or is there any way to tell if it did delete something important?

dispn0ygonekrazy

dispn0ygonekrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
If it is viruses then I would recommend searching your computer for viruses, scan your computer here at http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ and see if that helps and also you should run additional spyware programs such as Lavasoft's Ad-Aware and Spybot Search & Destroy

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Are you sure it's not just the virtual memory? Often the swap file will start at zero bytes in size at the start of each session but expands as required upto the max limit specified. The upper limit is often set by windows the be the total remaining free space on the drive.
This would also explain why the D drive isn't being affected.