Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need advice.. New laptop?

• Please log in to reply

Jaysama

Jaysama

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello. For a couple months I been saving for a new comp, an alienware one. But lately I been wonderin.. Should I just get a topline laptop? All I really do is play games (city of heroes, doom3, final fantasy 14 when it comes out). I occasionally do photo manipulations and such. But that's about it. I have a external harddrive with all music, movies snd pics on it. Should I just get a laptop then? Maybe an alienware?

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi Jaysama, and welcome to Geeks.

The general opinion seems t be, Laptops for general computing. Limited screen size, More prone to heat problems when playing games and video work. More limited upgrade path.

A PC for gaming and intensive CPU loads. With a well featured motherboard there is plenty of upgrade paths, IE more powerful video card if you start playing top end games, better cooling.

An Alienware m15x Laptops
The Most Powerful 15” Alienware 15” Gaming Laptop would set you back over $2.000.

You cold build your own for a lot less with the help of some great guys on Geeks who would be happy to put together some mock build.

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Well While building laptops is possible now a days with kits, you are still limited to CPU,RAM and various other minor parts. Which still make it not fee sable since there are no major manufactures to make laptop main boards since they all very so much. If you plan on doing alot of gaming get a desktop and you will be happier since it will run at better fps than a laptop will.

Edited by amw_drizz, 26 April 2010 - 07:05 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.
I was not precise enough in my last post.

I was suggesting building a desktop NOT a laptop.

Edited by iammykyl, 26 April 2010 - 04:31 PM.

Jaysama

Jaysama

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Okay... I have almost $2,000 saved up. Could I build a real good comp for that?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi Jaysama.

Yes, a top flight computer for that price.

I would start a new topic in this forum as this one has not attracted a lot of interest.

In your profile put in your location and the OS you have at the moment.

Some of the more experienced tech guys will pick it up and help you all the way through from mock build to completion.

I will look out for your post and stick my oar in as well.'
'Good luck.