Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Please help! Can't figure out how to restore files from backup

• Please log in to reply

jonni_sue2007

jonni_sue2007

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I just bought windows 7 and I backed up all of my files using Norton 360 on a 8GB cruzer flash drive. I downloaded and installed windows 7 last night and when I downloaded Norton 360 again this morning and tried to restore the files it won't recongize any backed up data on my flash drive. But I know that they are there because when I open up the flash drive through computer there are files there that were backed up. I can't figure out how to restore all of these files onto my laptop after installing windows 7. Can anyone help me?? Will greatly appreciate it

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
What kind of files are they? data, pictures, programs?
What is the extension on the files?
Did you copy and paste them to the drive?
Are they zipped files?
Are they an image file?

You state you tried to "restore" so I would believe that you did a "backup" of the files.
What was the previous OS?
The specifications for Norton 360 from Cnet Downloads state for Vista and XP only(not windows 7)
Norton 360

What is the error that you are getting?

EDIT: PCMagazine shows it is for windows 7

Edited by 123Runner, 26 April 2010 - 03:19 PM.

jonni_sue2007

jonni_sue2007

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The files are pictures, music, financial files, office documents, internet favorites, and other file types. The previous operating system I had was Vista. I am not recieving any type of errors, may computer just won't let me restore or transfer the files any way. Is there a way I can go back to windows vista and my files still be there and just try to back everything up again?

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Did you copy and paste them to the drive?

Yeah, you say you can see them in my computer right? Is there no option when you right click on the files/folders to "copy"? or "cut"?