Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Comp is done.

• Please log in to reply

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

I got my computer back, free of charge (Yay!), but still no idea of what was wrong with it.

Do you know if they replaced anything? It sure sounds like you have a hardware problem. Probably your motherboard, RAM, or CD-ROM drive (in that order). I'd bring it back to the store again. <_<

Advertisements

rowdy

rowdy

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have an idea for you, ever heard of Knoppix?
It's a Linux system on a CD.
If you have access to another computer with a burner go to
Knoppix
download the ISO and burn a disc.
Set your bios to boot from the cd, pop in the Knoppix disc and you will know if its a hardware or software issue you are dealing with.
If its not hardware, you will be able to click on your hard drive and read the files on it. If you need to reload windows files its pretty easy . You need to mount the hard drive, then change the permissions to read/write.
Just be carefull! You log onto Knoppix as root.

mtDNA

mtDNA

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Just wanted to update the situation: I finally have a working computer again! Only 3 months later!
Traded in my faulty Mobo, picked up a new one (different brand, however) and all my problems have disappeared.
Thanks again for all of your advice!

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Thanks for the update <_<