Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can not access my own site

• Please log in to reply

meremoongirl

meremoongirl

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
I have a website. We changed it over to a new provider and needed to change the DNS because there were issues with the one we were transferring over.
I have three sites on it.
I changed the dns yesterday morning. Two sites correctly displayed within a few hours, the third one will not display for me.
I cleared my cache, did a DNS flush, I have even called my internet provider who told me that there should be no problem accessing the site because they were able to access it from the same IP.
The other odd thing is that none of the other computers in the house can access it either. Three of the computers are on the same wireless network, and one is on it's own internet. None will display the site.
I have bypassed the router and gone straight to the modem and that does not work either.
Page not found.
google chrome, firefox, opera and even IE.
I am the administrator and it is frustrating that I have to use a proxy site just to get to my own site.
The site is at spiralinward.com .It's not SUPER busy but it has a fair amount of daily posts and sometimes alot of drama that needs to be curtailed right away.
Any ideas?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
DNS changes can take up to 24 hours to propagate.
When you change the DNS on a domain, all that happens is it changes straight off but the new information has to go round the world first, otherwise a lot of provider DNS entries will still take you to the old DNS address until they have the new information.

Different providers work in different ways but the main crux of the situation is: You want a website, the computer asks your internet provider for the "real" address. If it can't find it, it'll go off and ask another server. This continues until you get to the top of the DNS servers, the master DNS servers, of which there are only about half a dozen or so across the planet. The key issue here is, those that are stored by your internet provider are cached and may be out of date if you've changed the DNS on your website. Until that cache updates itself (frequency varies by provider but typically 24-48 hours) you won't be getting that site on its new DNS server address.