Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Instruction on HD Enclosure

• Please log in to reply

SBernheart

SBernheart

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
:) If I'm in the wrong forum, please let me know....

I finally bought a new computer and I also got a hard drive enclosure kit so I could keep my old computer's hard drive, but the instructions are too simple and I don't understand a couple of things. First, if I'm keeping the drive to use with my new computer, will moving all my folders and files to the new computer or to an external drive first be then all that's necessary to have what IS my old computer AND will plugging in the enclosure also recognize these folders and files OR will I at least have the opportunity to tell a program from this enclosure where it can find them? I mean, otherwise what's the point, right?

Second, and most importantly, the instructions aren't clear about how to create the external from the internal drive. Specifically:

Note: Before connecting the enclosure to the computer, make sure that the jumpers on your internal hard drive or CD/DVD drive are set to MASTER.

I don't understand what it's referring to or rather, WHEN it's referring to do it. I understand the basic concept, like that my computer's internal hard drive IS the 'master' drive right now, but what does it want me to change the master drive from and/or into? The old computer's master drive from 'C:' to whatever drive my new computer's CD/DVD drive is and, if so, how do I make two or more drives 'masters'?

I've attached a copy of the instructions so you can read them for yourself. I guess I thought that I'd simply plug it into a USB port and have it magically start like any other piece of outside hardware, but no such luck, huh? I've been so afraid to touch the blessed thing now for fear of losing everything I was trying to save in the first place! There's not too much on it that I would die over losing, but I've been using that computer for the past ten years and yes, I realize that's a very long time in 'computer years', but it's also a very long time in 'my years', too. LOL

As usual, thanks ahead of time for any help -- may not be all the help I need with this, but it's a start considering what I haven't done so far. Won't know 'till I figure this part out if I'll need anything else. BTW, I have opened my tower before, so I do understand which cables to yank once I'm able to figure out the 'master' business as it relates. I'm going out on a limb and guessing it wants me to make the old internal drive my new computer's CD drive a master, too? If I recall, I seem to remember reading about masters and slaves a long time ago, a REALLY long time ago. Also, I have a slimline tower now and it only has one DVD drive it considers 'E:', but my phone does suck up what my computer calls another CD drive ('F:'), even though there's no additional 'slot' for one. By removing the phone first, I'm sure I can force the HD Enclosure set-up to take this drive -- if this means anything or not -- and then replugging the phone's USB back in after that will just pick up the next available letter as it did on my old system. Again, thanks.....

SBernheart

PS: I just read this back and BOY, did it sound like mumble jumble. Hope you know what I mean and how I'm supposed to get where I need to be!

Attached Thumbnails

• RocketFish_Enclosure_Info.jpg

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
On your old hard drive there are Jumpers (located right beside the power connectors) and depending on the brand of your hard drive putting a jumper in one (or two or none) of the jumpers will tell your computer if its a master or slave hd.

On the top of your old hard drive there should be a diagram on how to put your jumpers so it is set to the Master position.

As for the drive letter Windows will automatically designed a free letter (d to z) to it once it recognizes it so no need to dissconnect your usb phone.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Also I forget to ask if your old hard drive is the C:/ drive from your old computer.

If it is then make sure not to boot your system from Removable Device and you will bo ok because it will not work if you try.

Also if it is I would suggest to tranfer temporary the files you wanna keep from your old hard drive unto your new computer hard drive and once that done then format your old hard drive so to erase the windows installation on it, once formated you can put back your data on it and now it can be a proper back up hard drive with data only on it and not one with an old windows installation on it.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Its not as hard as you are thinking.

Open up the USB case as the instructions describe. You will see a data cable and a power cable that needs to be plugged in.
Pay attention to the "keys" (notch) on the cables. They will only go 1 way.
Ide_Drive.jpg

In the diaghram, the "master/slave selector" is where the jumpers go.
I would leave the jumpers where they are and try to see if the drive is "seen" when you plug it in.
A lot of times the drive will be recognized just the way it is.

The continue as Alzeimer suggested with transferring your data to the new drive and then re-formatting the old to get rid of the old OS.

123runner

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

There will be no need for you to alter any jumpers or yank any cables inside your new computer.
When you have completed 123runner instructions, your external hard drive will appear as a removable mass storage device where you can backup your data and a recoverable image of you new OS.

SBernheart

SBernheart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks guys -- sounds like I was right about it being simple like any other USB device. Guess the instructions flipped me out. I'm also assuming there's no need to format an already used hard drive. That instruction would be if you bought a new hard drive, not unlike a new DVD/CD, it would then need formatting, right? It would erase what's on it now. No need to reply to that unless for someone else's benefit.
As for my old hard drive, Alzeimer, it was 'C:', just as my new one. I had Windows XP and now I have Windows 7. The store told me that that wouldn't matter -- that my new computer would use XP if I was using the old drive. Whether that's true or not doesn't matter to me at the moment. If it uses the new OS system, that'd be OK. I was more concerned that because BOTH computer's hard drives are set on 'C:' that my new computer wouldn't recognize it properly or that it's use of XP might screw something up.

If it is then make sure not to boot your system from Removable Device

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by that and maybe it's a good thing. I assume, for example, if I had a backup on a disc or external storage I could boot my system in order to recover my new system if it ever crashes, right? If that's the case, no worries. This old drive is strictly for my use to retrieve stuff I'd like to be using on the new computer. My husband just wanted to throw the old tower away, but like I said, that's ten years worth of my use and couldn't bring myself to get rid of it. Besides, if old programs will finally run faster with all the new RAM space and whatever, I'll be a happy camper and might actually WANT to review all the old stuff. It was like pulling teeth trying to run anything with only 750MB RAM and around 30+GB total on the whole blessed computer! LOL

...then format your old hard drive so to erase the windows installation on it, once formated you can put back your data on it and now it can be a proper back up hard drive with data only on it and not one with an old windows installation on it.

Sounds like a good plan. Is this something I can do at a later date? Hubby's just sick of looking at the old stuff that I just want to backup all my files and folders to a separate external for now and then remove the internal drive. That IS all I need to do to have what was my old computer, right? I'll probably remove the RAM storage, too, but for someone else's use. After that, there's no more of anything to care about I hope 'cause once I remove the old hard drive, it's going to a recycling center so there's no going back!
I think I answered everyone. Good to know, iammykyl, it's what I thought it should have acted like. The cables in the enclosure are pretty cut and dry, 123Runner, but thanks for the pic -- it's a lot easier to understand what it was talking about seeing it like that. The kit only has the flat cable and the power connector, but I will watch how it slides together -- like a monitor plug only goes one way in, male to female.
Thank you for the help and BTW, I especially liked the combo of two of your signature lines: "I do not know it all, I just like to know all." -- "Help yourself first then others will willingly help you." I always look around first. I like the learning experience. Comes a time I don't know what to do when I'm ready to pull my hair out -- usually over stupid instructions -- that's when I come here. There's always people ready to give advice. I, for one, greatly appreciate the effort and then try to pay it forward. I'll be sure to let you guys know if I get stuck after connecting the USB to the new PC! Great job.........

SBernheart :)