Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recommend a Good Monitor Calibration Program

• Please log in to reply

Jaekus

Jaekus

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
My issue is that my new monitor comes with MagicTune. However, my video card appears to be incompatible with the software (ATi 5770).

I would really love to calibrate my new monitor correctly, but I can't without the software.

Could someone please recommend a third party program for this purpose?

PS: I'm not sure if this is the correct forum, so apologies if it isn't.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I don't know of any program that works well. Some will match your printer to the monitor - but that does not mean it is still right. I generally find a photo of people and adjust the settings until flesh tones look right.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
You can try Nokia display test application

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Hmm, so in essence I should just play around with it until it "looks" right?
Should I print a photo already on my PC, or will any pic do?

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

You can try Nokia display test application

I tried the program but it's incompatible with my OS as it won't work on a 64 bit system. Thanks though.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Should I print a photo already on my PC, or will any pic do?

Well, there's the rub. How do you know the photo is correct? Is the blue from your printer the same blue on your monitor the same blue in the picture the same blue of the sky?

Take a picture of something or someone. If that looks "real" then proceed.

I guess I need to back up a bit. Why is this important to you? I ask because for some professionals using their computers for design work of some sort, exact colors is critical. But if you are just using your computer for "normal stuff" - searching the net, organizing your digital photos, watching an occasional DVD, then your goal is to make it "look right" to you.

There are programs for calibrating bigscreen TVs, like Video Essentials - but often you get it calibrated to specs, and it just does not look right, until I tweak it a little my way.

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
With my old monitor and rig I had an Nvidia calibration tool that made it look better, to me anyway.
I'm just wanting the best result I can. I'm really only using my computer for gaming, net etc. I guess I was under the impression software would get me optimum viewing pleasure from it.

I'll just fiddle around and see what looks best.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, you've given me a bit of confidence in finding what looks best.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I think most new monitors do a pretty good job of auto-adjusting.

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
True, but auto adjust only works for VGA in this instance. I guess it'll be something for me to learn how to do manually over time. At the moment it looks pretty good but I'm sure I could improve it a little.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Do you "calibrate" your TV? That would make more sense to me than a computer monitor - but that's me.

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
To be honest I rarely watch tv.
This is the first decent monitor I've bought so perhaps I'm taking it all a bit too seriously.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

so perhaps I'm taking it all a bit too seriously.

I don't see any harm in taking it seriously - unless you make your living out of precise color matching.

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
I've spent a few hours trying a few different programs, the best for me was an online calibration page. I feel my monitor is looking close to the best it will, which is pretty good!

Link is here if anyone is interested.

*EDIT*

In doing it myself I also learned where my monitor doesn't perform as well as others (mainly due to it being a TN panel).

Edited by Jaekus, 28 April 2010 - 11:22 AM.