Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Once upon a post...

• Please log in to reply

Iconicmoronic

Iconicmoronic

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
I grabbed this off of another post that I just so happened to stumble upon and I tried it on my PC just to see what would pop up.
It didn't work, it just says no such file or something like that. Anyhow, I'm reposting it more curiously because of the line http.sys
When you run a diagnostic using tools that come stock with Windows, does it retrieve default information from the internet or something? Is this query telling the computer to grab accurate .sys or all .sys files from the network hub? Thanks.

cd \windows

dir /a /s http.sys >> junk.txt

dir /a /s tunnel.sys >> junk.txt

notepad junk.txt

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Please be advised that it's not recommended to simply "grab" scripts off other posts and sites and run them to see what they do. They may have malicious intent.

In the case of the script you've posted, all it does is change to the Windows folder, look for a certain file and write the output to a text file, repeat for the second file and then show it on the screen. Not the most exciting script in the world but that's what it does.

Iconicmoronic

Iconicmoronic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
yeah i figured as much in terms of safety, but if the thread managed to remain on geeks i wouldn't have thought it to be malicious, I suppose it goes to show
the state of cyberspace. thanks niel, oh and in reply to my other post...well i'll just repost there.

Edited by Iconicmoronic, 27 April 2010 - 05:06 PM.