Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to verify router and cable modem are compatible

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
I own the following router: Linksys Wireless-G BroadBand Router with SpeedBooster (WRT54GS). Currently, the cable modem I have attached to it, which I rent from my ISP, is a Motorola Surfboard SB5101 Cable Modem. I want to purchase my own cable modem, however, so I can stop paying the rental fee to my ISP.

The cable modem I am thinking of purchasing is Motorola SB6120 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 eXtreme Broadband Cable Modem. I know that it is supported by my ISP, but how can I be sure my router will work with it? What concerns me is that this new cable modem is DOCSIS 3.0, and I purchased my current router in 2005, so I'm not sure if they will be compatible.

My router has been upgraded to the most recent firmware, but after extensive searches on both the Linksys and Motorola websites, I can't find any information as to whether they will work together. Obviously, I'd like to know for sure before purchase.

I would appreciate any opinions someone might have, or perhaps they could point me to a website that would list compatibility.

Or am I misunderstanding the entire situation, and there is no question at all of compatibility--meaning all routers and cable modems are compatible.

Thanks for any info,
mike.

Advertisements

SupeR GeekiN CognitO

SupeR GeekiN CognitO

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
I don't think you will have a problem at all as far as compatability.

Maybe take a look at this page at DSL reports for some info on the speed you should expect to get.

My appologies if that link happens to be your post. :)

Edited by SupeR GeekiN CognitO, 27 April 2010 - 05:29 PM.

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
lol. No, the link is not my post. Thanks for taking the time to provide me with the link!