Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2-Front USB's not reading

• Please log in to reply

kronoz 365

kronoz 365

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi,
Thanks in advance for all your help. It is greatly appreciated.

I was sent here by mpascal one of the Malware Staff. He helped me clean out my computer and says its malware free.

Here is the link to reference.

http://www.geekstogo...ed-t274935.html

So here is what happens.

The problem i have is the front USB ports are not reading.
When i boot up it beeps 1 time, then it goes into safe mode screen and says

918-Front USB Not Connected

HP Ethernet Boot Agent v8. 1.55
copyright © 2000, 2005 HP Devolpment co.
press Ctrl-S to enter configuration menu

(note: hitting control S doesn't do anything)

Then it gives me the options on the bottom of the screen (I only tried F1 and F9)

F1: Boot
F9= Boot Menu
F10= Setup
F12= Network Service boot

If I hit F1 it boots normally.

If I hit F9 the screen says:

Press Enter to select Boot Device, ESC to Exit
CD-Rom
USB Device
Hard Drive
MBA v8. 1.55 Slot 3F00

I hit Hard Drive and it boots normally but when i restart i does the same thing again..

Ok so when the computer is in regular mode, i plug in a memory stick in the front USB and it doesn't read anything. It doesn't even show up in "MY Computer"
(note: i plug in the memory stick in the back and it works perfectly)

Here is a snapshot of all my USB's from the System Information. As you can see there are none that have a yellow exclamation attached to the end.

(note: I tried to get a snapshot from the Device Manager but wasn't sure how. I also double clicked on all 8 USB"S and they all said "This device is working properly.)

Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27CC&SUBSYS_3013103C&REV_01\3&B1BFB68&0&EF
Standard Universal PCI to USB Host Controller PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C8&SUBSYS_3013103C&REV_01\3&B1BFB68&0&E8
Standard Universal PCI to USB Host Controller PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C9&SUBSYS_3013103C&REV_01\3&B1BFB68&0&E9
Standard Universal PCI to USB Host Controller PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27CA&SUBSYS_3013103C&REV_01\3&B1BFB68&0&EA
USB Root Hub USB\ROOT_HUB\4&1024CBF7&0
USB Root Hub USB\ROOT_HUB\4&2E99DA50&0
USB Root Hub USB\ROOT_HUB\4&1655CC0&0
USB Root Hub USB\ROOT_HUB20\4&67A0A8C&0

That's pretty much it. Other than i'm not really sure which one of those is from the front USB's. I have 2 USB's in the front (both don't read anything)
and 6 in the back. (all 6 in the back work fine.)

Thanks again for your help.

kronoz

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Did your front panel USB ports ever work?

I am asking because if they did then maybe the front panel wire of your USB ports to your motherbaord might have come loose.

If they never worked then you should check if your front panel USB ports are connected to a USB header on your motherboard.

Other thing if they never worked it is maybe that your case was not originally made for your motherbaord and your MOBO does not have any additional USB header for you to plug with the Front Panel USB.

Check in your manual if you have any extra USB header on your motherboard to add additional USB ports.

Also go check in your BIOS (F10) if your first boot device is your HD and not removable device (USB enclosure HD).

Edited by Alzeimer, 27 April 2010 - 04:09 PM.

kronoz 365

kronoz 365

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Yes the Front USB ports used to work perfectly. This began to happen after i got the virus.

I believe the wire is connected correctly. It is showing up in the Device Manager [i pasted the snapshot of them on my initial post]

The Boot order is:

ATAPI CD-ROM
USB Device
Hard Drive
-Integrated SATA
-Integrated IDE
Broadcom Ethernet Controller

Edited by kronoz 365, 27 April 2010 - 09:17 PM.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
For your boot problem try to put your Hard Drive as the first boot and if this does not work choose between Integrated SATA or IDE depending on your hard drive technology.

As for your USB ports, here other things you can check and try:

1- Uninstall all your USB root hub and reboot your computer, wimdows will reinstall the drivers for them, maybe it will help

2- Check in your BIOS if all USB options are enable

3- If you have another USB connector on you motherboard connect your Front USB ports to it.

kronoz 365

kronoz 365

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
OK it works perfectly again!

I uninstalled the USB's and disconnected and re-connected the front USB cable from the MB at the same time and it started normally.

Thanks for the tips Alzeimer and thanks G2G for this forum.

I finally got my computer back!!!

All the best
kronoz 365

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I am glad that you got it fixed.
I want to clarify what was happening.

The Boot order is:
ATAPI CD-ROM
USB Device
Hard Drive
-Integrated SATA
-Integrated IDE
Broadcom Ethernet Controller

The boot order was incorrect. It was trying to boot from a USB which you did not have. It is ok to leave the CD rom where it is because the boot sequence will bypass that.

123runner

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

OK it works perfectly again!

I uninstalled the USB's and disconnected and re-connected the front USB cable from the MB at the same time and it started normally.

Thanks for the tips Alzeimer and thanks G2G for this forum.

I finally got my computer back!!!

All the best
kronoz 365

Glad to help