Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LAN network problem

• Please log in to reply

aznblade1

aznblade1

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
im able to connect to the internet but something werid with my lan network. when i connect to the internet, the lan network says limited or no connection. how do i fix it? it said something about network ip or some sort.

Advertisements

miles_obrien

miles_obrien

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
HI,
It is very helpful when you post a request for help to include as much information as possible about your set up. This makes more people more likely to answer your request.
We do not know if you have a router, any other computers, wireless, wired, etc.
Could you be a little more detailed?
Thanks
Mike

aznblade1

aznblade1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
well i dont have a router, umm... heres a screenshot.

http://img50.echo.cx.../problem0lm.jpg

and i have 1 comp. so i dunt kno whats wrong.. everything is connected

Edited by aznblade1, 21 May 2005 - 03:11 PM.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Download and run the WinsockXP Fix. Restart your computer.
If the WinsockXP Fix did not solve the problem, run the following commands in Command Prompt:
netsh winsock reset -- Restart your computer; if this did not solve the problem, reset your TCP/IP settings:
netsh int ip reset reset.txt -- Restart your computer.

aznblade1

aznblade1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
are you pose to type in netsh winsock reset in the run? or type netsh first then type netsh winsock reset?

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Goto Start, select 'Run', type in 'cmd', and then type the commands in the DOS window that appears.

aznblade1

aznblade1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
they wont work, any other solutions?

Insanitystreak

Insanitystreak

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Well you are having problems with you Local Area Network. So maybe something is unplugged. If not they try other programs that need the connection. I had this problem on my desktop and ended up buying a new one. Hope you are luckier

aznblade1

aznblade1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
acually its a new pc, so... ya

miles_obrien

miles_obrien

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Lets go back to my original request for hardware information.
Please?

Advertisements

bgrauerholz

bgrauerholz

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I am experiencing the exact problem with "limited or no connection". My computer is my first build. Everything is brand new. The LAN connection is built into the MB (ASUS P5GD2 Deluxe). I have been able to get on the internet by taking the PCI based ethernet card from my old computer. Everything works fine with that. But I want to use the built in connection.

I tried everything Dan G suggested as well. This does nothing for me. I anxiously await a solution as well...

bgrauerholz

bgrauerholz

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Sorry, here's more info on my set-up.

Motorola cable modem. Earthlink provider. I installed the driver that came with the MB. It is a Marvell Yukon 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller. It is the only computer.

I try to repair the connection and it tells me "Cannot Renew IP Address. Contact the person who manages your network."

miles_obrien

miles_obrien

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi,
Thank you for the prompt reply.
IF you open a DOS window (Start,RUN, type cmd, press ENTER) and type ipconfig, then press ENTER
What do you see there? Is ther an IP address like 192.168.x.x? or 169.x.x.x ?
If the former, type ping 192.168.x.1 where x is the value for the Gateway IP displayed by the ipconfig command.
If the latter, your network interface is not getting an IP from the router. You can do 1 of 2 things.
Set the Network Interface ( the Marvell MIC) to get an address automatically or set the IP address, Subnet Mask and gateways manually. You can get the values from your old interface by doing the ipconfig routine on it, copy the info down and then input it to the new interface.
Do you know how to get to the dialog box to input this info?
Mike

bgrauerholz

bgrauerholz

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanks for your help. I'm sorry. Could you drop your advice down a notch or two for the newbies...

I did ipconfig and on my motherboard LAN, it gave me:
Connection Specific DNS Suffix:
Autoconfig address: 169.x.x.x
Subnet mask: 255.255.x
IP Address: ?
Default Gateway:

I did ipconfig and on old working ethernet card, and it gave me:
Connection Specific DNS Suffix: Earthlink.net
Autoconfig address: 69.x.x.x
Subnet mask: 255.255.x
IP Address: ?
Default Gateway: 69.x.x.x

I can't figure out how to get into the Network Interface to get the IP address automatically, or how to set them manually. And No I don't know how to get this dialog box.

miles_obrien

miles_obrien

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi,\
Not a big problem. It looks like your new NIC isn't set to get an address via DHCP.
Click the right mouse button on My Network Places, click on Properties.
Click the right mouse button on Local Area Connection, click on Properties
Scroll to TCP/IP, click on Properties
You will see a RAdio button that say Get an IP address automatically click it
Same for DNS Server
Click OK all the way out.
then run the ipconfig routine and see if your IP address is close to the one that worked.
Mike