Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Monitor or graphics card problem?

• Please log in to reply

SupeR GeekiN CognitO

SupeR GeekiN CognitO

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Here's the deal. My uncle uses my old monitor, which is a 20" Dell 2000fp. Everytime I try

to boot into safe mode, I get no picture on the monitor. The power light is on but the screen

will say "power saving mode, press any key or move mouse" but nothing happens if I do.

So yesterday i did a reformat, which I haven't done on his pc since he started using this

monitor. So I complete all the steps up until reboot, and it reboots, I get the Dell logo,

then the Win XP + status bar, then, nothing. A couple of seconds later the power saving

screen again. And then it will flash the windows setup screen for like

1/2 a second and then black and back to the power saving screen. Now when I hook up my monitor

and another old one, it works just fine. So I'm thinking maybe the screen can't handle the resolution,

or maybe the refresh rate that XP uses during setup and in safe mode. Otherwise I'm not sure.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated. He has a Dell dimension 8250 with an ATI radeon 9700

128 DDR on AGP card, 512 mb ram, Win XP home (sp3) fully updated, all drivers up to date.

Thank you.

:) Super GeekiN CognitO :)

Edited by SupeR GeekiN CognitO, 29 April 2010 - 04:56 AM.