Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Linksys LELA or W7?

• Please log in to reply

Wol

Wol

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I've just upgraded from XP to Windows Seven.

I had a small wired/wireless network based on a Cisco Linksys WAG 160N gateway, which I managed to set up using the bundled LELA application. However, when with XP Windows wouldn't recognise the network from my netbook even when it was connected OK and I was able to use the LELA app to "see"it.

I think I will start again with W7, reset the router/modem and build the network again.

Would I be better off doing it from Windows Seven, or using the LELA way? I get easily confused!

Advertisements

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
The only tricky parts are the Encapsulation settings. You may need to contact your ISP for optimal settings. The rest involves you choosing an SSID, WPA2-Personal with AES encryption and a strong key, which you can generate with a bit of help.

63 random alpha-numeric characters
https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm

Wol

Wol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I haven't tried the W7 setup method: just thought it might be more userfriendly than LELA and more widely accessible.

(I use the random generator that Steve Gibson has on grc.com)

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Just follow the Network Setup Guide in Windows 7.

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
@Wol:

I just call it the manual method.

Use a PC hardwired to the WAG 160N. It doesn't matter if it's runs Windows, Linux, or Inferno OS.

Type 192.168.1.1 where you'd normally type a URL. The password is usually admin and the username empty, on a Linksys, after a hard reset.

As I stated above, choose the Encapsulation settings, SSID, WPA2, AES, generate a key, and also change the router's default password from admin to something more complicated. The few simple changes should allow for a secure network.

Wol

Wol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Thanks - I will try that (Presumably from the W7 application?)