Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

rca in pci opening

• Please log in to reply

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
I found an RCA/SPDIF out chip that screwed into one of the pci openings (but not to a pci mb port) and has a wire that plusgs into the SPDIF_I/O on the mb right under the pci ports. I assume it is for connecting to the tv, but i dont know ecactly how to use it. If anyone knows, I would appreciate it. :tazz:

Nixx

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
SPDIF is digital optical connection for audio. It will hook up via a special fibre optic cable to any external device that supports SPDIF also, often home entertainment receivers etc. The cable you will need is quite expensive I believe, due to it being fibre optic.

nixx

nixx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
the internal part that connected to the mb came with my mb. I just want to know if i can hook up my tv through the rca jack and get it to work seperate of my graphics card... My origional problem was that I couldn 't get my tv to display movies from my comp, but i figuried out that it was my tv. my graphics card's lowest tv display is 490 and my tv is older (no s-video) im guessing like 260,but i dont have the manuel.

Nixx

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I was refering to the external spdif cable not the internal parts but not to worry!

You should be able to get it to work using the 2 RCA ports (red for audio, yellow for video).
I don't understand what you mean by 'seperate of the video card' though.

nixx

nixx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
like I said, the G-card cannot lower resolution enough fot the tv...If the rca connection didn't base on graphics card resolution It might work, but then how would i set it up on the computer?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
That I don't know I'm afraid. Never tried to set anything like that up before. As far as I know though, if you're not using the video card to control it, then there must be another device (like a seperate TV out card or something) instead. Beyond that, I haven't a clue!

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
that spdif plug is connected to your onboard sound card. it will pass digital audio only.

does your tv rca component inputs? if so, and your video card has an rca component out, you should be able to connect those and get picture on the boob toob.

nixx

nixx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
The spdif has a yellow rca out, I was confused. I used a dvi to rca adapter to plug to my tv and the computer found it, but there was no display on the tv. the lowest tv display on the card was 490 which i read was for most tvs with hdtv or s-video. mine doesnt.

Nixx

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
typically if a video card has tv out, it is provided as a seperate output. this will convert it a signal the tv can read.
there are seperate cards you can buy for tv out.

nixx

nixx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
yea, like the dvi to rca i was using to plug into my tv, it was the only converter I couls find. It did seem to make the connection-my comp sent a signal to the tv, but the tv didnt display anything.