Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot Access Number Keys Above The Letters

• Please log in to reply

jek1862

jek1862

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
For some reason, the past few days, I have had occasions where when I push down on the number keys(except numbers 5 and 6-they work, why I have no idea) above the letters, nothing happens. Also, the symbols above these keys also do not work! I know, weird! Like I can't write any emails right now because I can't use the 'at' symbol above number 2, for example, and I need to write some emails!! But I've said I've had 'occasions' where this is happening, in the last week or so. Then it seems to correct itself. But tonight, for the 4 hours or so I've been on, those numbers keys will simply not work, and the symbols above them. I would also like to mention I CAN access the numbers on the keypad on the right of the keyboard, but this doesn't help me with those symbols I need above the numbers above the letters. So I can type numbers, but I also need those symbols, too...especially the 'at' symbol above #2. I have read a little about others who have had this problem, and it seems to have something to do with the 'NumLock' key, but I don't quite understand the remedies that are presented as to how to fix this. If you know what is going on here, please give me instructions on how to fix it. I need to use those numbers above the keyboard, for the symbols. If I don't get that #2 key working, I won't be able to write any emails for I don't presently have the 'at' symbol, which of course I need for the email addresses. This is really going to cause me some problems if I don't get this fixed soon. Thanks for your help with this.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Is it laptop, or desktop?
Did you try different keyboard?

jek1862

jek1862

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Problem Solved. Got another good keyboard and everything works fine now. Why my other keyboard suddenly malfunctioned on the keys I mentioned, I have no idea. Even Device Manager says "this device is working properly"(when it obviously wasn't). This was a desktop.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Nice job :)