Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer reboot

• Please log in to reply

not that bright

not that bright

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i had a dell tech take me through the process of completely rebooting my laptop, a dell inspiron.it had ha heap of viruses and thought id backed everything onto my external hard drive, he told me it takes it back to new ? is this true ? i have deleted my sisters wedding photos, she has lots of others so no big deal but my question is if i take it to someone who is an expert in computers can they get the pics back or are they gone for good, probably a stupid question to people that know about computers but i dont, hence my name. i was once told u can never completely clear or delete your hard drive ? is there a chance the pics are still hidden in there somewhere ? any assistance greatly appreciated, cheers 'not that bright'

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
"Recuva" (free) can help you recover files deleted from your Windows computer, digital camera card, MP3 player, etc.

http://www.recuva.com

not that bright

not that bright

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

"Recuva" (free) can help you recover files deleted from your Windows computer, digital camera card, MP3 player, etc.

http://www.recuva.com

Thanks for your advice, my computer was rebooted back to factory new the tech told me.
When i turned it back on for the first time it was exactly as it was when new.
Loading windows, welcoming me to dell ect,
I had to rename the computer again and install everything from new.
Will this 'recuva' still be able to find pictures from before the total reboot ?
Thanks again.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
I'm afraid I don't know of any solutions that can recover overwritten files. However, if a 'quick' format was used when reinstalling Windows, some (or all) of your files may not been overwritten and Recuva should be able to recover them. It certainly wouldn't hurt anything to give it a try.