Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading RAM

• Please log in to reply

Sic

Sic

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hi,

I'm planning to upgrade my RAM.

I'm just not sure which type to buy.. here's an EVEREST report:

Motherboard Physical Info:
CPU Sockets/Slots 1 LGA775
Expansion Slots 2 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16
RAM Slots 2 DDR2 DIMM
Integrated Devices Audio, Video, LAN
Form Factor Micro ATX
Motherboard Size 220 mm x 240 mm
Motherboard Chipset SiS671

Motherboard Manufacturer:
Company Name Elitegroup Computer Systems

I assume it's DDR2 DIMM right? Is that what I'm supposed to say to the store? I'm also not sure how many slots there are. All I know is that I have a 1GB RAM stick currently installed.

Can I put a 2GB stick together with the 1GB stick? Or is it supposed to be the same size? 1GB and 1GB.

Thanks a lot!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go to HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system.
You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
On your current memory stick you should have a sticker with the model number on it.

In Everest you should have a field that tells you more about what memory type and what speed it is.

On an LG775 type processor and depending on what your motherboard model can accept you can have different speed fromm PC4200 to PC1066 so you have to make sure it is the same as the one you have now.

As for the size of it it all depends if your motherboard usues Dual Channel Transfer Rate or not if it does and you want to use that option (if you have that option it is better to use it for better use of your memory stick) then you need to have two memory stick of the same brand (2 x Kingston, 2 x Corsair, 2 x Ocz) and same size (1gb x 1 gb) and also you have to check how much memory your motherboard can take at once is it 2gb, 3gb or 4gb ect. It is not an obligation to use Dual Transfer rate it will work if you do not if you have different size and type but will not use all the speed it can out of your memory stick.

If it does not use Dual Channel Transfer rate and you motherboard can use 3gb or more then buying a 2gb plus your actual 1 gb will not be a problem.

The best thing is to check on your memory stick (on the sticker) all the information you need should be there.

Check also in your motherboard manual to verify the maximum capacity your board will accept and if it uses Dual Tranfer (Usually DDR2 means yes).

Hope you understand my explanation.

Sic

Sic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hey thanks guys.

So putting two different sticks with different sizes doesn't always work?

Here's the result:

* Maximum Memory Capacity: 4194304 MB
* Currently Installed Memory: 1024 MB
* Available Memory Slots: 1
* Total Memory Slots: 2
* Dual Channel Support: N.A.
* CPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
* CPU Family: Genuine Intel® CPU 2140 @ 1.60GHz Model 15, Stepping 2
* CPU Speed: 1599 MHz

--

Can I run 1GB + 2GB?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes though it is preferred to be the same manufacturer to avoid possible conflict.
You can run two different capacity modules.
Your XP will only see up to 3.5 gigs total memory also since it is a 32 bit OS.
With 2 gigs of memory you should have no problems as long as the memory place nice together.
:) :) :) :)